Last modified: 2012-02-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: espírito santo | santa maria de jetibá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 31 March 2010
based on http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_de_Jetib%C3%A1
A white flag with a four radiating light blue stripes extending from a circular white area in the upper hoist, and the letters SMJ in light blue on the white disk.
Official website at
http://www.pmsmj.es.gov.br. The flag is shown on the official site at
Dirk Schönberger, 31 March 2010
The municipality of Santa Maria de Jetibá (34,178 inhabitants in 2010;
736 sq. km) is located in central southern Espírito Santo, 80 km of
Santa Maria de Jetibá was formed in the 1870s by colonists, mostly of Pomeranian origin. Pomeranian emigration was triggered by the German unification and border conflicts between Germany and its neighbors. The early colonists came from the German colony of Santa Leopoldina established in 1867 by immigrants who had landed in Brazil ten years earlier. In 1879, they built in Santa Maria de Jetibá a chapel, a school and a cemetery, which can be considered as the origin of the today's town. Santa Maria de Jetibá was made a municipality by State Law No. 4,067 of 6 May 1988. In the late 19th century, Pomerania was quite an isolated area in northern Prussia, with a very specific culture and language, which have been carefully preserved in Santa Maria de Jetibá, self-styled "the most Pomeranian Brazilian municipality". The municipality is officially bilingual Portuguese / Pomeranian, while some inhabitants of the most isolated villages still speaking only Pomeranian. The municipality counts 12 groups of folkloric dance and 10 brass bands. Pomerania was one of the main agricultural regions in Europe. The colonists have brought their skills to Brazil, where a more conducive climate allowed them to increase and diversify production. Santa Maria de Jetibá is today the first center of agricultural production in Espírito Santo and among the first in Brazil. With 4 millions hens, the municipality is the 2nd biggest egg producer at the national scale. Some 80% of the registered family farms produce fresh vegetables (140,000 t per year, with a significant increase in organic production) supplying the local markets of Vitória and exporting to Minas Gerais, Bahia and Rio de Janeiro States. Other crops, such as coffee (2,000 producers) and fruit, are also of economic significance.
The flag of Santa Maria de Jetibá was designed by Danildo Clemes. White and blue are the traditional colors of Pomerania (see also de-mv_.html#vpo), used here as a tribute to the Pomeranian colonists. The egg-shaped element in the upper left corner represents poultry farming. The rays represent the other activities (agriculture, trade, industry and tourism) and the aspiration to maintain a strong municipality and a progressive community. The initial "SMJ" in Gothic style, recall the German origin of its inhabitants.
Ivan Sache, 21 January 2012