This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Manhay (Municipality, Province of Luxembourg, Belgium)

Last modified: 2011-05-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: manhay | confrerie du glorieux saint-hubert | harre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Manhay]

Flag of Manhay - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002

See also:

Presentation of Manhay

The municipality of Manhay (3,185 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 11,900 ha) is located in the Upper Ardenne. The municipality of Manhay was founded in 1976 by the merging of the former municipalities of Dochamps, Grandmenil, Harre, Malempré, Odeigne, Vaux-Chavanne and Bra (pro parte), and was named after the crossroads of Manhay, located in the middle of the new municipal territory.

In the 18th century, the area was divided between the Duchy of Luxembourg (most villages) and the Principality of Stavelot-Malmedy (Odeigne). Under the French regime, the villages were placed in the department of Sambre-et-Meuse (which later constituted the Province of Luxembourg) except Harre, which was placed in the department of Ourthe (which later constituted the Province of Liège). After the independence of Belgium (1830), the borders of the Provinces were fixed only in 1839.
During the Battle of the Bulge around Christmas 1944, the villages constituting Manhay were severely damaged.

Forest covers 60% of the municipal territory. A 9-ha recreational forest park named Chlorophylle was recently opened. There is a cross-country ski resort in Odeigne (45 kms of tracks). The factory Mélotte, which produced creamers between 1852 and 1970, has been transformed into a Creamer Museum.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002

Municipal flag of Manhay

The flag of Manhay is horizontally divided white-blue-white-red-white-blue-white.

According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones [w2v03a], the flag of Manhay was adopted by the Municipal Council on 3 October 1995 and confirmed by the Executive of the French Community on 28 March 1996.

The flag is derived from the municipal arms, D'argent à une tête et col de cerf de sable accostée et soutenue de trois losanges d'azur, au chef de gueules à trois feuilles de chêne d'or en pal et rangée.
The arms had to be created de novo when Manhay was formed since none of the former municipalities had arms. The main charges of the arms are taken from the arms of Louis de Stolberg (1505-1574), lord of Dochamps, "Or, a deer passant sable". The colour of the field and the additional charges are taken from the arms of the family of Leuze-Neufforge, from Harre and Vaux-Chavanne, "Argent, three lozenges azur". To emphasize the belonging of the municipality to the Province of Luxembourg, a red chief was added, and the main local production, wood, was highlighted by placing oak leaves in the chief.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 27 December 2002

Confrérie du Glorieux Saint-Hubert

[Flag of the Confrˇrie]

Flag of Confrérie du Glorieux Saint-Hubert - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 April 2009

Confrérie du Glorieux Saint-Hubert (Brotherhood of the Glorious St. Hubert) was founded on 4 November 1995 by Pascal Cornet in Harre. A gastronomic brotherhood, the Confrérie joined two years later the Conseil Noble de la Province du Luxembourg (Noble Council of the Province of Luxembourg) and the Grand Conseil des Traditions Gastronomiques de Wallonie et de Bruxelles (Higher Council of the Gastronomical Traditions in Wallonia and Brussels).
The Confrérie is led by a Grand Maître du Palais (Grand Master of the Palace), assisted by a Conseiller de la Cour (Court Councillor) and a Comte du Palais (Count of the Palace); such titles actually existed in the region around 700. The Confrérie promotes two local products, the liquor called prunette de Harre, made with plums (prunes) and juniper berries, and the soupe de chasse (huntings oup), whose receipt is kept secrete.

The Confrérie, named after the famous local saint, Hubert, also the patron saint of the parish of Harre, recalls the religious indulgence brotherhood Confrérie du Glorieux Saint-Hubert founded by the parish priest Lamy on 6 December 1842, with the approbation (rescrit) of the Holy See, but long forgotten.

The flag of the Confrérie is vertically divided green-yellow.
Green represents the natural environment and hunting, while yellow recalls the European, Belgian and Walloon flags.
Photos taken during the chapters of the Confrérie confirm the use of the flag (4th, 7th, 11th and 12th chapters).

Source: Confrérie website

Ivan Sache, 7 April 2009