Last modified: 2019-07-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: wasseiges |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Wasseiges (2,580 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 2,445 ha), the westernmost municipality in the Province of Liège, is located in Hesbaye, on the border with the Province of Namur. The municipality of Wasseiges is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Wasseiges, Acosse, Ambresin and Meeffe.
Wasseiges (883 inh., 665 ha; lit., "the vassals' seat") was in the Middle Ages one of the seven Bailiwicks of the County of Namur. The domain of Wasseiges was transferred in 1755 to Baron d'Obin, who built a castle later owned by the sugar producer Zaman, transformed in a field hospital in 1939 and eventually burned down by the Germans in 1944.
Acosse (248 inh., 252 ha), a rural village located between Wasseiges and Burdinne, belonged to the County of Namur. The village is famous for the Rock Blues Festival.
Ambresin (582 inh., 620 ha) was already settled in the Gallo-Roman times, as proved by the two tumulus locally known as the Sun's Tomb, remains of the Bavay-Tongeren way that crossed the village, and a villa built on the banks of the river Mehaigne. In the Middle Ages, the village belonged to the County of Namur. Ambresin was famous for its sugar house, one of the biggest in the region, closed in 1976.
Meeffe (693 inh., 908 ha; lit., "bad water"), already settled in the Neolithic and Gallo-Roman periods, formed an enclave of the Principality of Liège inside the County of Namur. The Ban of Meeffe included the villages of Meeffe, Seron, Seressia and Forville. Owned by the lords of Hemricourt until the French Revolution, Meeffe was burned down several times; the St. Sevère priory, founded in the IXth century, was ran by an abbot chosen among the St. Laurent Chapter of Liège.
Sources: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 21 December 2007
According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones, there is no municipal flag used in Wasseiges.
Pascal Vagnat, 21 December 2007