This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Elwood Sailing Club (Australia)

Elwood, Victoria

Last modified: 2015-06-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: elwood sailing club | cross (white on blue) | seahorse (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Elwood Sailing Club burgee]
image by Ivan Sache, 5 Aug 2006

See also:

Elwood Sailing Club

The Elwood Sailing Club (ESC) is located on the Elwood Foreshore, south-east of Melbourne, Victoria. The club was formed on 25 May 1924 as the Elwood Sea Canoe Club, the first sea canoe club in Australia. In the late 1920s, some members of the club started to fit sails to their canoes. They later designed the Seahorse, an 18 foot double-ended, half-decked, bulkheaded yacht made to carry 135 square feet of sail and a strong crew of three or four men. The Seahorse Class was established in 1934 and the club was officially renamed the Elwood Sailing Club.

Source: ESC website
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2006

Description of burgee

The burgee of the ESC is blue with a white cross and the seahorse from the club emblem in the middle. This emblem, which had been adopted in the earliest years of the canoe club, was retained as the sailing club insignia. The emblem was reintroduced as a sail insignia in 1972 on the Elwood Junior catamaran - the second one-design yacht especially originated for Elwood Sailing Club.

A photograph of the real burgee can be seen on the frontpage of the club website.

Source: ESC website
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2006