Last modified: 2022-11-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: yerevan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Yerevan - Image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 11 December 2004
Yerevan (1,250,000 inhabitants), located at 1040 m a.s.l. near the
border with Turkey, is the capital of Armenia. The town was already known in the 8th century BC as Erebuni, in the country of Urartu. The Armenians succeeded the Urartians around 600 BC. Yerevan remained a small, isolated fortress; when the Russians occupied the town in 1827, its population was 11,000, only half of them being Armenians. In 1913, the population reached only 30,000.
During the Soviet era, the population of Yerevan dramatically increased. Several agencies and organisms were located there; Yerevan became the political, administrative, cultural and industrial capital of the Armenian SSR. The town increased along the banks of river Razdan, the single emissary of Lake Sevan. The water of the river allowed irrigation of the dry lands of the suburbs of the town and electricity production, which boosted the economical development of the town.
Ivan Sache, 16 April 2005
The Council of Yerevan Municipality approved today the flag and anthem of the Armenian capital Yerevan. Deputy Mayor Arman Sahakyan [...] said that the flag of Yerevan shows a white field with an image of a lion holding a scepter. The lion is surrounded with 12 small red triangles symbolizing 11 former and the current capital of Armenia. The flag shows the three colours of the Armenian national flag. The lion is on orange background with blue edging. The painter and designer Karapet
Abrahamyan,, member of the Union of Painters and the Union of Designers of Armenia, author of the models of the Armenian coins, and the painter and designer Karapet Pashyan, Vice Chairman of the Union of Painters of Armenia, won the prize place in the contest.
Yerevan's flag and anthem will be presented on October 13 at the National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet in the course of a solemn session of Yerevan Municipality on the occasion of the 2,786th anniversary of the town.[...].
ArmInfo news agency, 27 September 2004
Victor Lomantsov, 14 April 2005
The lion of the shield is believed to be a personal symbol of King of Ararat (Urartu) Argishti I. The image is based on the one from the restored frescoes from the Great Hall of the Royal palace within the complex of the fort of Erebuni (Arin-berd). Ruins of Erebuni fort are preserved to this day and are part of the Erebuni Museum in Yerevan. The monument to Argishti I was unveiled next to the entrance to this museum in 2002.
The lettering in the base of the shield says "Erevan", spelt in Armenian letters (ԵՐԵՎԱՆ, upper case; and Երեվան, lower case.)
Chrystian Kretowicz & António Martins, 12 December 2004
In the “Yerevan in your pocket official guidebook” (pp.22 and 23) the
explanations of the city flag and emblem are given as follows:
The white, dominating on the flag, symbolizes purity an simplicity. The emblem, located in the centre, is surrounded with 12 red triangles that stand for the 12 capital cities of Armenia. The composition of the blue and bronze on the emblem, encircled by red, signifies the colours of the national flag of the Republic of Armenia.
The flag of Yerevan City was designed by K. Pashyan and K. Abrahamyan in 2004.
Among the tints of bronze and apricot a crowned lion, portrayed in blue, stands victoriously with a scepter in its paw. In the centre of the crown, a pistil (symbol of life tree) has sprouted. The shield on the lion’s chest shows an eternity symbol and Mount Ararat.
The inscription at the bottom of the image reads “Yerevan”.
The Yerevan City Emblem was designed by A. Sokhikyan.
Bruce Berry, 18 August 2022
I complement the above with the following from Victor Lomantsov's website
(translated from original text in Russian):
"The flag of Yerevan was approved in the autumn of 2004 by "Решением Совета" (English: Council Decision) No. 12/1. The description is confirmed by the "Решением Совета старейшин Еревана "О символах Еревана""(English: Decision of the Council of Elders of Yerevan "On the Symbols of Yerevan" No. 85-N dated April 12, 2010. The authors of the flag are Karapet Abrahamyan and Karapet Pashyan.
The white background of the flag was chosen as a symbol of purity, clarity and purity. In the center of the flag is the image of the coat of arms of the capital surrounded by 12 red triangles, symbolizing the 12 capitals of Armenia. The coat of arms on the flag is designed in apricot-bronze tones with a blue border. The colors of the state flag are used co-authors (sic) to emphasize the significance of the capital".
On the coat of arms - the walking "lion king of Eribuni" with a scepter and the inscription in Armenian "YEREVAN"
Source: http://www.vexillographia.ru/armenia/erevan.htm, which in turns quotes the official website of Yerevan (http://www.yerevan.am/rus/index.php) as the main source.
The original text from the city's official website (http://www.yerevan.am/en/symbols-of-yerevan) and its description is as follows:
"The results of the competition held in 2004 were summarized on September 27 2004 at the meeting of Yerevan Council and by the decision of the Council N 12/1 the flag of Yerevan was established as the symbol of the capital of the Republic of Armenia. In accordance to the 10th article of the RA law “On local self-government in Yerevan” and by the decision of the Aldermen Council of Yerevan N85-N “On the symbols of Yerevan” dated 12.04.2010, the flag has the following description: the white background of the flag is chosen as a unified symbol of purity, clarity and chastity. The emblem of the city of Yerevan is depicted in the center of the flag surrounded by 12 red triangles that symbolize 12 historical capitals of Armenia.
The emblem on the flag is performed in apricot and bronze colors with the blue border line: the co-authors used the colors of the national flag in order to emphasize the metropolitan importance of the flag. The width and the length of the flag ratio is 1:2. Keeping the ratio between the length and the width flags of smaller or bigger sizes can be used.
The co-authors of the flag are Karapet Abrahamyan and Karapet Pashyan.
Based on the decision of the Aldermen Council of Yerevan N85-N “On symbols of Yerevan” dated April 12 2010 and guided by the 4th part of the 10th article of the RA (Republic of Armenia) law «On local self-government», by the decision of the Aldermen Council N118-N dated 18,06.2010 other cases and the procedure of mandatory use of the symbols of Yerevan were established."
Esteban Rivera, 20 August 2022
image located by Esteban
Rivera, 20 August 2022
Furthermore, a description is given o the coat of arms:
"On September 27th 2004 at the meeting of Yerevan Council certain changes were made in the decision of Yerevan City Council N 1/8-2 dated April 26 1995: the description of the emblem of Yerevan was changed. In accordance with the 10th article of the RA (Republic of Armenia) law “On local self-government” and the Aldermen Council decision N 85-N “On symbols of Yerevan” dated 12.04.2010, the emblem has the following description: there is a lion depicted on the pedestal with the inscription "Yerevan" made with bronze Armenian initials on the blue background, with its head turned back and holding a scepter, which is the attribute of power. There is a crown depicted over his head with a flower rising from its center and symbolizing the tree of life. The symbol of eternity is on the breast of the lion with a picture of the mountain Ararat in its upper part. The emblem has a form of a rectangular shield with the blue border line. Apricot and bronze colors are used in the emblem. The author of the emblem is Albert Sokhikyan"
- am-yerev) (CoA) (copied image from the original located here:
, source: http://www.yerevan.am/en/symbols-of-yerevan/ )
For additional information go to Yerevan (official website): http://www.yerevan.am/
Esteban Rivera, 20 August 2022
Former flag of Yerevan
Former flag of Yerevan - Image by Luc Baronian, 24 April 2005
The flag of Yerevan in reported use in summer 2001 was very similar to the current town flag adopted in 2004: white with the town arms, except that the arms are gold and there are no red triangles around the arms. Proportions are unknown.
Another four white flags wdere also reported, each with one of the four emblems on the quarters of the Armenian arms in black. Precise detail of the flags is lacking.
Luc Baronian, 24 April 2005
Yerevan State University
Flag of YSU - Image by Victor Lomantsov, 16 October 2006
The first university in Armenia was established by a Decree adopted on 4 May 1919 by the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Armenia. The Decree prescribed the organization of the four Faculties of History and Languages, Economy and Law, Medicine, and Physics and Mathematics (with technical subdivisions). The university was inaugurated on 31 January 1920i n the facilities of the Alexandrapol School of Commerce, in the presence of the Prime Minister and of the Minister of Culture and Education.
The flag of YSU is in proportions 1:2, blue, with a golden fringe and in the center the round, gold-coloured emblem of the university.
The emblem of YSU shows in center a sketch of the university central building, on top is Mt. Ararat, an opened book is placed below, and the torch in the left side symbolizes science. It bears the trilingual inscription (Armenian, Russian, English), "Yerevan State University, 1919".
Valentin Poposki & Ivan Sache, 17 October 2017
Yerevan State Medical University
Flag of YSMU - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 October 2017
The Yerevan State Medical University (YSMU - Երեվանի Մխիթար Հերացու անվան Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարան) was formally established in 1930. On 25 May 1989, YSMU was named in honor of Mkhitar Heratsi (1110/1120-1200), the father of Armenian medicine and author of the Relief of Fevers encyclopedia (1184).
In late 1920, the Prime Minister ordered the establishment of a Faculty
of Medicine. After the proclamation of the Soviet Socialist Republic of
Armenia on 29 November 1920, the Revolutionary Committee decided on 3
November 1921 to found the Yerevan Medical School dedicated to the
training of healthcare specialists and medical doctors. next to the
municipal hospital of Yerevan. It was succeeded in March 1922 by the
YSMU (website) is composed of the Faculties of General Medicine, Public Health, Stomatology, Pharmacy, Military Medicine, and Postgraduate and Continuing Education.
The flag of YSMU (photo, photo) is white with the university's emblem in the center. The emblem features a profile portrait of the university's namesake, Mkhitar Heratsi,
Ivan Sache, 17 October 2017
Quoting Armine Ghazarian, AZG - Armenia Daily (English translation), 20 November 2007:
[...] The flag of the library is orange and symbolizes the Armenian purple. The designer is Ervand Mkrtchian. The World is pictured on the flag; an open book is on it with the letters HAG (Armenian National Library).
The image has its explanation: the book unifies the peoples of the world [...]
Deputy Director Rafik Ghazarian presented the historical past of the library and mentioned that during its 175-year existence it is the third flag of the library.
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2007