This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hull Yacht Club (U.S.)


Last modified: 2016-04-28 by rick wyatt
Keywords: hull yacht club | united states yacht club | massachusetts |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Hull Yacht Club] image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2010

See also:

Hull Yacht Club

The Hull Yacht Club (HYC) was founded on 26 June 1880 by thirteen Hull summer residents. When incorporated on 20 April 1882, HYC had grown to 128 members. According to "Outing Magazine", from 1883 to 1889 Hull Yacht club was one of the most active clubs in America. In 1890 HYC formed the Hull Corinthian Yacht Club. This club was made up of juvenile yachtsmen and owners of boats of the smaller classes. In 1899 HYC acquired the Massachusetts Yacht Club which was the original Dorchester Yacht Club. The burgee remained the same, but the name was now often referred to as the Hull-Massachusetts Yacht Club. The Boston Yacht Club merged with the Hull-Massachusetts Yacht Club in February of 1903. The Hull-Massachusetts YC contributed approximately 425 members and Boston 300. The merger resulted in the creation of one of the largest clubs in America. Terms of the agreement included: Hull membership agreed to change the name to the Boston YC, Boston YC members agreed to change their 'colors' burgee to the HYC Burgee. In 1904 the club members agreed that they did not like either the old Boston YC burgee or Hull YC burgee so a committee was formed to propose a new Boston YC Burgee. HYC was reincorporated on 1 February 1932.

[Hull Yacht Club] image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2010

The original burgee of HYC, as adopted in 1880, is yellow with a black saltire charged with a white star. In 1884, the colours were changed to a blue saltire on a red field. The burgee was readopted when HYC was refounded in 1932 and is still in use.

Ivan Sache, 19 July 2010