Last modified: 2023-04-15 by rick wyatt
Keywords: dacula | georgia | gwinnett county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Masao Okazaki, 19 October 2022
The flag appears to be blue with the seal centered.
The vicinity of Dacula was one of the first areas in present-day metropolitan Atlanta to be claimed by settlers (around the time of the War of 1812), but the area remained mostly undeveloped until the late 20th century.
Dacula itself began in the late 1800s under the name of Chinquapin Grove, where Dacula Elementary now stands. The town was renamed named "Hoke" in 1891 after a Seaboard Air Line Railroad executive. Furthermore, after the completion of the Georgia Carolina and Northern Railway, the workers call the settlement “Hoke,” while local residents call the town “Freeman” in honor of Mr. John W. Freeman, a prominent member of the community. Mr. Freeman applied to establish a post office in Hoke, Georgia, but his application is rejected because of the town’s name being used elsewhere in the state already so the name was changed due to the Post Office Department's protest (https://patch.com/georgia/dacula/dacula--then-and-now).
Dacula's name was formed from letters in Decatur and Atlanta, two cities to the west that were already prospering at the time of Dacula's founding. The city was once home to a train station on a CSX line through northeast Georgia, although the station closed in the mid-1950s.
Sources: https://www.daculaga.gov/community/page/history and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacula,_Georgia
Esteban Rivera, 13 April 2023
image located by Paul Bassinson, 5 July 2019
Paul Bassinson, 5 July 2019