Last modified: 2019-07-05 by rick wyatt
Keywords: fontana | california | san bernardino county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 17 June 2019
The city flag bears the city seal.
Dov Gutterman, 28 December 2002
A description of the civic seal and municipal flag can be found at http://www.fontana.org/main/history.htm
Ron Lahav, 11 October 2004
image located by Paul Bassinson, 6 May 2019
Extracted from the website at www.fontana.org/main/city_clerk/soc_2003.htm:
OFFICIAL SEAL OF THE CITY OF FONTANA
One of the first items of business for the newly formed City Council in 1952 was to adopt Resolution Number 3 declaring that the seal of the City of Fontana, shown in the upper left corner of this page, was to be the official seal of the City.
The design of the seal was created by A. W. S. Austin, an accountant, who resided at 121 West Arrow Route, Fontana. Stockwell and Binney Company in San Bernardino prepared a 2" desk model seal from Mr. Austin's drawings for $55.77, the cost of which was absorbed by Kaiser Steel, Inc.
The design of the seal depicts the history of the Fontana community. Shown in the center is Kaiser Steel, which located in our area in 1952; it is surrounded by mountains illustrating that Fontana is in a valley.
The grapes on the right of the seal are a tribute to the fact that Fontana had one of the largest vineyards in the world, however, it has now been replaced by housing, commercial, and industrial development.
Also illustrated on the City seal are chicken ranches and citrus groves, which were the main source of income for Fontana residents in the early 1900's. The lovely fragrance of the blossoms on the citrus trees filled the air. The packing house (now housing the Fontana Unified School District Transportation Department) located on Mango Avenue, was alive with activity of workers busily packing the luscious citrus fruit which was available to the residents for about 50 cents to $1 a crate.
On June 17, 1981, the City Council adopted Ordinance Number 693, upon the suggestion of the City Clerk to protect the use of the City seal, requiring that anyone wishing to display or use the symbol must first obtain official permission from the City Council.
The City flag with the seal on it is located in the City Hall Council Chambers. It has been proudly used in many parades by Fontana school marching bands.
The City Clerk is the official 'Keeper of the Seal." It is a symbol of the office affixed by the City Clerk to various legal documents.
submitted by Dov Gutterman, 28 December 2002
The webpage at fontana.org shows a colorful though busy multicolored logo, consisting of various types of fruit at the base, with an industrial scene above. At the very top a blue sky forms a dome, while a palm tree extends from the industrial scene through the dome into the space above it. The words 'City of' are written in two lines of lower-case lettering across the industrial scene. Extending the entire width of the logo is the word 'Fontana' in large stylized Art Deco blank lower case lettering outlined in blue; this word extends in a curved diagonal from lower right to upper left. At the bottom of the logo and forming its base is a light blue ribbon, and in the center of this ribbon is the large numeral '50' written in an Old West font, colored red with gold fimbriations.
Ron Lahav, 3 October 2004
A none-too-clear image of the seal can be seen at the Fontana Area Chamber of Commerce website. It is hard to make out the details, but it certainly looks as busy as the description implies.
Ned Smith 11 October 2004