Last modified: 2019-07-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: vrbas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vrbas - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 1 October 2010
The municipality of Vrbas (45,852 inhabitants in 2002; 376 sq. km) is made of the town of Vrbas proper (25,907 inhabitants) and the settlements of Bačko Dobro Polje, Kosančić, Kucura, Ravno Selo, Savino Selo and Zmajevo.
The name of the municipality stems from the word "willow" in the Serbian language. During the Socialist period, the town was renamed Titov Vrbas (meaning "Tito's Vrbas), after Josip Broz Tito. Like all other towns in Socialist Yugoslavia named after Tito, the first part was dropped once the new states were formed during the early 1990s.
Vrbas was mentioned first in 1665, then belonging to the
Ottoman Empire and populated by ethnic Serbs. Since the end of
the 17th century, Vrbas belonged to the Habsburg Monarchy, and after
1784 many Germans settled in the town. In 1918, Vrbas became part of
the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (later renamed to
Yugoslavia). As a consequence of the events the Second World War in
Yugoslavia, the German population fled from the town after this war. In
the same time, many settlers from Montenegro came to Vrbas and other
Milan Jovanović & Ivan Sache, 5 October 2007
The flag (photos) and (greater, middle and lesser) arms of Vrbas were adopted in October 2006, following a public contest. The designer is Tihomir Ačanski, member of the Serbian Heraldry Society, who kindly communicated images of the symbols.
Milan Jovanović & Tomislav Šipek, 1 October 2015