Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: police |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
After reclaiming autonomy in 1808 the city flourished again. A lot of public utilities were made: town hall, schools, new church, river harbor on Lapia river. Ferry conveyance was launched across Odra - Domiaza connecting Police with Swieta.
Police's development period was terminated by the Second World War. Rulers of III Reich decided to build s big synthetic gas factory. High class gas was produced or the German army. The gas was made of coal and used for instance to propel submarines. During that time in a region of Police there also existed 8 work camps and a branch of concentration camp of Stutthof. In that camps lived 30 thousand prisoners of different nationalities. 13 thousand prisoners including 9 thousand Poles did not make it till the end of the war.
The city of Police became Polish in October 1946. Before that, Russians
made so-called Enclave of Police - transfer point of war prizes taken out
The real turning point in terms of city development came in the middle 60's, when a decision to build a chemical plant near Police was made. From that point the number of settlers (now 35 thousand people) has increasing rapidly. Nowadays Police is modern, taken care of, developmental city. From 1999 there is a Starosty District of Authorities in Police.
Source Police homepage.
Gunnar Staack, 22 Oct 2001
Image after "Wappen und Flaggen der Kreise und Kreisstädte in Pommern",
by Erwin Günther.
Jens Pattke, 3 Mar 2003