This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ełk town (Poland)

Ełk county, Warmińsko-Mazurskie voivodship

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: elk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Elk city flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 Sep 2008
adopted 3 May 2008 See also:

Ełk city flag

Ełk city is the seat of Ełk county in Warminsko-Mazurskie vojvodship (north-east Poland). Its flag is presented at the city website , adopted 3 May 2008.
Flagdescription: two equal horizontal stripes of blue and green.
Ceremonial flag: idem with the city arms in center.
Arms: azure a stag saliant horned, tongued and hooved gules, surmounting two trees or; in chief dexter a mitre gules garnished or surmounting two croziers in saltire.
Old German name: Lyck. A Polish elk is a "łos", so the arms don't seem to be canting, although the elk seems to be an important Ełkian factotum.
Jarig Bakker, 4 Sep 2008

Although Jarig correctly translated the name of the animal into "moose" (łos), the name "Ełk" is commonly used in Poland to describe any large deer, in this case the Red Deer (Jelen Szlachetny), which appeared first time in the city's arms around 1513.
In 1999, following the visit of John Paul II and the elevation of the city of Ełk to the status of Bisphoric, the mitre and croziers were added to the Coat of Arms and the color of the trees changed to gold (yellow).
Chrystian Kretowicz, 5 Sep 2008


Ełk city plain flag

[Elk city plain flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 Sep 2008
adopted 3 May 2008

Ełk city Coat of Arms

[Elk city coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 4 Sep 2008
adopted 3 May 2008