Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: gostynini |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The origins of the town go back to the 13th century when Prince Konrad Mazowiecki founded the first settlement on Łysa Góra - today the area of Roman-Catholic Cemetery. A very dynamie development of the first settlement falls during the reign of the Mazovian princes - Siemowit III and Siemowit IV. The town was given the official status in 1382. The end of the 15th and the whole 16th century were very propitious for the development of the town. In 1462 - 1478 Gostynin was the capital of the voivodship which reflected its significant political position for the country at that time. In 1793 the town was occupied by the Prussian army and in 1809 Gostynin suffered from a great fire. The economic situation of the town stabilised in the second half of the 19th century which resulted in the development of culture and education in the area. At the beginning of the 20th century the first secondary school was opened in Gostynin.
Arms and flag adopted on June 26, 2003 (resolution # 51/VIII/03).
"Arms: on the blue shield, crenellated white wall with three towers and the gate open.
Flag: a rectangle in the ratio 5:8, mostly blue. In the middle there are two horizontal stripes of equal height, each forming 11% of the total height of the flag: upper is white and the lower-red (national colors). These stripes are interrupted in the center of the flag by the city's Coat of Arms placed without the shield.
Coat of Arms occupies 1/3 of the length and 2/5 of the height of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 18 Oct 2008