Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: galewice |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
"Galewice was first mentioned in 1458 in Judicial Chronicles and was owned by an aristocratic family of Galewski (coat of arms Wierusz). According to the statistics for the years 1633-1635 Galewice was the second most important settlement on the ancient route between Ostrzeszów and Wieruszów. When Poland was partitioned in 1795 Galewice fell under the Russian occupation. In 1815 it became part of the Congress Kingdom. In the mid-nineteenth century Antoni Myszkowski built on a hill a neo-classicist court and established a Court Park with some rare trees and plants in it. Myszkowski was the main owner of Galewice until 1885, when Kazimierz Czapski bought it. The second owner of the court occupied it until World War II in 1939.
After 1918, when Poland gained independence, Galewice became the host of Gmina Galewice and in 1933 Roman Catholic Church parish (Parafia p.w. Najswietszego Serca Pana Jezusa (the Holiest Heart of Lord Jesus Parish) was established. During World War II it was the place of a labor camp for Jews from Wieruszów County." (wikipedia)
On April 15, 2008, the Commune's Council presented to the public the
final set of the new symbols for the commune.
These symbols have to be approved by the Heraldic Commission in Warsaw before becoming official.
It didn't happen yet.
Source: commune's website.
Arms and flag show on the green field a golden oak tree with three branches, three roots and two acorns. Below the tree is a white, wavy ribbon representing the river Prosna.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Jun 2009