Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: babimost |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The commune Babimost is situated in the middle-eastern part of the province
lubuskie, 15 km away from the prospective motorway, 40 km from Zielona
Góra and 90 from Poznań. On the premises of the Babimost region lays the
only airfield in the province. The airport 'Babimost - Zielona Góra' is
able to receive all kinds of planes.
The commune occupies an area of 9.275 ha, 3.924 ha of which is devoted to agriculture and 3.268 ha to the forests. The population numbers 6.383 citizens. 4.041 of them live in the town and the rest in the 6 villages and their surroundings: Nowe Kramsko, Stare Kramsko, Podmokle Małe, Podmokle Wielkie, Laski and Kolesin.
Babimost is a settlement located on both banks of the river Gnilna or
Leniwa Obra dates back to the early middle ages. Within the pre-Christian
times it was a place of worship of the pagan goddess Baba. This was probably
the source for the town name. The oldest mention derives from the year
1257. As far back as then Babimost had an urban look.
Babimost and the numerous hamlets around it were inhabited by the tribe Polanie. The town belonged all the time to Wielkopolska. At the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries it was incorporated for a short period in the Principality of Głogów. King Władysław Łokietek annexed it in 1332 to the Polish Kingdom and established here a non-stronghold Starostship.
The exact date of the town foundation remains unknown. Most probably, Babimost gained the civic rights before 1329. The establishment was renewed by King Władysław Jagiełło in 1397. Later, in 1530, King Zygmunt Stary extended the town privileges.
The Golden Age of Babimost dates back to 17th century, during the times of Starost Krzysztof Żegocki, who let settle the fleeing German Protestants. It led to a significant extension of the town, the population of which numbered as much as a couple of thousands. The further development was vanished by the Swedish invasion, called in Poland the Flood. Starost Żegocki was the first who started guerrilla warfare against the aggressors. Among others, he took over Kościan and set forth to the rescue of Częstochowa. Not only was he honored for these deeds, but he received the title The first Partisan of the Polish Republic as well. In 1656 the town was twice burnt down by the Swedish forces.
In the middle of the 18th century people meritorious to Polish culture were connected with Babimost. Józef Andrzej Za?uski, the founder of the biggest in Europe library in Warsaw was the titular parish-priest. Also Jan Daniel Janocki, the author of Polish biography was familiar with this place.
In 1793 Babimost was incorporated to Prussia. It belonged to the Grand Duchy of Poznań and was the source of the name for a district that existed till 1950. During the Powstanie Wielkopolskie upraising the town was taken over by a guerrilla division, under the command of Józef Kudliński. This region was the western verge of the upraising. Despite this, due to the Treaty of Versailles from the year 1919, Babimost remained within the borders of Germany. It was liberated during the WW II and returned to its mother country after 152 years of captivity. Old german name: Bomst.
Source: commune's website.
Jarig Bakker, 14 Apr 2008