Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: universidad peruana cayetano heredia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia is
Valentin Poposki, 01 Dec 2005
White flag with red cross throughout offset to the hoist (approx. specs:
(8+5+8):(8+5+18); Danish style), golden "CH"
script monogram on the upper hoist, and ogival shield on the cross core: Or
a serpent Vert coiled on a torch Sable flaming Gules and in orle the Latin
sentence «spiritus uni vult spirat» Gules.
António Martins, 23 Feb 2008
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH) was founded in 1961 by famous
Professors of Medicine from the Faculty of Medicine San Fernando of the National
University of San Marcos rejecting the state control imposed by the government
on the universities. The main founding fathers were the psychiatrist Honorio
Delgado (1892-1969; Director in 1962-1967) and the specialist of altitude
medicine Alberto Hurtado (1901-1983; Director in 1967-1969). The university is
named for the physician and politician Cayetano Heredia (1797-1861), first Dean
of the Faculty of Medicine of the University de Lima, founded on 6 October 1856
upon his request. The university is made today of eight faculties and three
institutes, altogether catering some 2,000 students.
The shield includes a flaming representation of the Rod of Asclepius, the symbol of medicine. The Latin motto "Spiritus ubi vult spirat" (Gospel of John 3:8) means "The spirit blows where it wills"
The flag was selected on 6 December 1967 by a jury made of Director Alberto Hurtado, Drs. Hernán Torres, Alberto Cazorla, Leopoldo Chiappo, Carlos Vidal and Mr. Juan Manuel Ugarte Elespuru. The selected design No. 1 was contributed by Pr. Dr. Manuel Chavarri. Used in the official acts, the flag was once damaged and quickly forgotten. Subsequently, the flag of the Tuna University was used when required. Secretary General Juan Jiménez Bendezú noticed that the original flag had never been officially accepted; the University Council was prepared to officially adopt a flag but there was no consensus on the original flag. Five new proposals, contributed by two designers, were evaluated on 27 March 1996 by the University Council, that eventually adopted the 1967 design.
Ivan Sache, 18 November 2010