This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Sint-Oedenrode [North Brabant, Municipality] (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: sint-oedenrode |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 5 Mar 1981
Sint Oedenrode municipality
Population (1 Jan 2003): 17.100; area: 64,25 km²; settlements: Sint-Oedenrode
(seat), Boskant, Nijnsel, Olland.
The flag was adopted 5 Mar 1981 by municipal resolution. Description:
blue with a white St. Andrew's cross, and in the hoist-trangle the yellow
castle from the municipal arms.
According to tradition Princess Oda of Scotland (c. 700 A.D.) was born
blind; she was travelling to the grave of St. Lambert in Luik (Liège),
Belgium, where she was cured of her blindness. She swore to remain unmarried,
against her father's will, and travelled all over Europe, until she found
a quiet place in the neighbourhood of St. Oedenrode, which she and her
companions started to develop. The village was named after her - and the
municipal flag reminds of her Scottish descent.
Sint Oedenrode Coat of Arms
from the St. Oedenrode municipal
Granted 16 Jul 1817. In the hamlet of Kessel Saint Oda built a castle
on the Sint-Odenberg, where she died in 762.