Last modified: 2018-12-06 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: chontales | juigalpa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Fred Drews, 09 September 2011
Jinotega flag is green with a lined diamond-figure in the
centre and in each vertex there is a circle
and within a snail.
Source: Elisabet Ollé personal observation.
Jaume Ollé, 5 April 2008
Juigalpa is the capital city of the Chontales Department of
Nicaragua. Information about the city at wikipedia.org.
The flag is reported at alcaldiajuigalpa.gob.ni with information in Spanish.
Dov Gutterman and Olivier Touzeau, 9 May and 16 July 2008
Translated from this site:
"Designer: Professor Guillermo Rothschuh Tablada [a poet of international fame, b. 1926]
Shows: Four small black snails : Etymology of the word Juigalpán, "rich in small black snails". The four small black snails move eastwards, towards the origin of light.
Rhomb: The four small black snails are linked as generating energy, passionate life and hope on the four cardinal points, North, South, East and West. Life and hope are eminent attributes of Darío. See 'Songs of Life and Hope' (1905). [The Nicaraguan poet Rubén Darío (1867-1916) was the leader of the Modernist movement in Latin America.]
Meaning of the colour:
The flag is green for various reasons:
- Economic: Green pastures of Chontales, the bases of the economic potential;
- Historic: The name of Chontales is derived from the word "Green", "Chonta" [a local palm tree] or "Pijibay" [another local palm tree];
- Scientific: Green is the emblematic colour of ecology;
- Cultural: In different books, including the "Cuadernos del Taller de San Lucas" (Granada) ["Contributions of the St. Luke Workshop", edited in 1942-1944 by Ernesto Mejía Sánchez (1923-1985)] and the autobiography by General Emiliano Chamorro Vargas [1871-1966, President of the Republic, 1917-1920 and 1926], the boardings are green. The "Poemas Chontaleños" ["Chontales poems"], the "Letanías a Catarrán" and the "Historia de la ganadería en Chontales" ["History of cattle-breeding in Chontales; the three works by Guillermo Rothschuh Tablada, the designer of the flag] are also edited in green;
- Political: The Conservative Party has a green "casilla" [?];
- Day-to-day: The universal language used in semaphore for "forward" is of green colour;
- Humorous: The sale of meat from cattle breeding yields green banknotes [dollars?];
- Psychological: The promising color of hope is green."
Ivan Sache, 17 May 2008
The name "Municipio of Juigalpa, Chontales
Nicaragua" that is written on the flag of new version.
Fred Drews, 09 September 2011
image by Olivier Touzeau, 9 May 2008
image from alcaldiajuigalpa.gob.ni