Last modified: 2018-11-04 by rob raeside
Keywords: cork harbour sailing club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Burgee 1939 - 1949.
Pennant: 9:13 (print image). White field charged with the heraldic arms of Cork (in black) on a on a red St. George's cross (2 units wide) centred 3 units from hoist.
Source: St. Leger, Alicia. A History of the Royal Cork Yacht Club.
Crosshaven, Ireland, 2005.
Peter Edwards, 14 October 2018
image located by Peter Edwards, 14 October 2018
The arms of Cork City were officially registered by the Chief Herald on 23rd
August 1949 and are described as follows: "Órdha ar thonntracha mara long
trí-chrann fá lántseol dualdaite idir dhá thúr dhearg ar charraigeacha
dualdaite ar gach túr bratach airgid maisithe le sailtír dheirg" Leis an Rosc "Statio
Bene Fide Carinis."
“Or, on waves of the sea a ship three masts in full sail proper between two towers gules upon rocks also proper each tower surmounted by a flag argent charged with a saltire of the third" with the Motto "Statio Bene Fide Carinis.”
The flags in the modern Arms have the red x-shaped cross of St. Patrick. The ship and towers motif is of ancient origin, and examples survive from the 17th Century. It is possible that the Coat of Arms was originally derived from the ancient Common Seal of the City. It is popularly thought that the towers represent the King’s and Queen’s Castles of the original harbour of Cork, which was situated in the present day Castle Street area. The motto ‘Statio Bene Fide Carinis’ ‘A Safe Harbour for Ships’ is a later addition, and is an adaptation of a line from Virgil’s Aeneas.*
Cork City Council website
*Adapted from Virgil's Aeneid (II, 23: "statio male fida carinis", "an unsafe harbour" [Troy]) but corrupted for unknown reasons to "fide".
The coat of arms also appears, in a different rendition and without motto, on Cork County colors.
Ivan Sache, 14 October 2018