Last modified: 2014-04-18 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: algyo | csongrad | tisza | fish |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Istvan Molnar, 24 March 2001
Algyő is a village in Csongrád County in Hungary between Szeged and Hódmezovásárhely
cities. The settlement has got 5.325 inhabitants (1990 census),
all of them are Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Hódmezovásárhely and Szeged cities, Maroslele and
The first mention of the settlement is from 1138. It was a village in Csongrád county to 1543 (when Castle of Szeged was occupied by the Osmans). 1543-1686 under Turkish rule. In 1910 Algyő was a village in the Tiszáninneni district of Csongrád County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 3.037; 3.017 (99,3%) Hungarian and 20 (0,7%) other by mother tongue, 2.963 (97,6%) Roman Catholic, 35 (1,2%) Calvinist and 39 (1,3%) other by religion. 1973-1997 it was a part of Szeged City.
Description of the Coat of Atms of the village: The silver wavy stripe relates to the Tisza River. In the green field there are a silver ploughshare, two gold stars and a gold flower with five petals. In the red field there is a gold clothes's decoration from the ages of the Hungarian Conqueste. In the blue field there is a silver fish relates to the fishing on the Tisza River. The flag is white field and in the center there is the Coat of Atms of the village
The image and the description are based on <www.algyo.hu/jelkepek.htm> and photo at <www.algyo.hu/zaszlo.jpg>.
Istvan Molnar, 24 March 2001
Translation of the resolution: "The flag of the community
of Algyo is white, with golden fringes, the Coat of Atms of the
settlement in its original colours displayed lengthwise, with
"Algyő"" inscribed beneath it. Width of the
flag: approximately three times the width of the shield in
the Coat of Atms."
Georges G. Kovari, 6 April 2001
from <www.csongrad-megye.hu>, located by Istvan Molnar