Last modified: 2014-10-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: kordelio-evosmos | evosmos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Kordelio-Evosmos (Κορδελιό-Εύοσμος, 101,753 inhabitants in 2011; 1,230 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Eleftherio-Kordelio (Ελευθέριο-Κορδελιό, 21,630 inh.) and Evosmos (Εύοσμος, 52,624 inh.).
Olivier Touzeau, 29 September 2013
Former flag of Evosmos - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 29 September 2013
Evosmos is a suburbs of the Thessaloniki Urban Area. Evosmos' first dramatic increase in population occurred when refugees from Asia Minor settled in the area in the early 20th century. The municipality was originally called Harmankioi (Χαρμάνκιοι). In 1953, it became an independent community and was renamed Neos Koukloutzas (Νέος Κουκλουτζάς). Two years later, it was renamed again to Evosmos, meaning "a place that smells nice", a marsh having been drained.
The former flag of Evosmos (Kokkonis website) was white with the municipal emblem - with the main elements in blue and white only and not in full colours.
Olivier Touzeau, 29 August 2013