Last modified: 2013-07-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: compagnie des chargeurs francais | plisson |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Chargeurs Français - Image by Jarig Bakker, 3 January 2005
The Compagnie des Chargeurs Français was owned by the sipowner Plisson. In 1916, Plisson created the Compagnie Générale d'Armement Maritime in partnership with the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique in 1919. Plisson also owned the Compagnie des Chargeurs Marocains.
Plisson lost several ships during the First World War: the cargo ships Olio, sunk on 24 September 1916; Capbreton, sunk on 1 October 1916; Baigorry, sunk on 25 April 1917; Europe, sunk on 24 September 1917; Bayonnaise, sunk on 20 January 1918; and the three-master Ciboure, sunk on 13 December 1917.
Dominique Cureau & Ivan Sache, 4 July 2005
According to Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies [wed26], the house flag of Plisson & Cie is red with the white letters CIE DES CF.
The flag comes from the Compagnie des Chargeurs Français which they operated, being shown under both names by Lloyds (1912) [llo11] but only the latter by Brown (1929) [wed29]. After the First World War, it came under the control of Compagnie Générale Transatlantique and although both names are still shown by the telegraphic addresses in Lloyds 1937-8, neither are given by Randier as being shipowners in 1939.
Jarig Bakker & Neale Rosanoski, 18 November 2005