Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: derrieu | letters: edc (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Derrieu, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 12 November 2005
E. Derrieu founded his company in 1864 for the transportation of material needed for the building of the canal of Suez. He purchased two sister-ships, MS Montfallout and MS Timsah, from the Alexandrian company Medjidie, which had bought them from the khedive of Egypt. The cargo for the return journeys to Marseilles was mostly made of cotton. In 1866, Derrieu considered his mission as completed and sold his two ships to Paquet.
Source: Paul Bois. Armements marseillais - Compagnies de navigation et navires à vapeur (1831-1988), published by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Marseille-Provence [boi03].
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2004
Bois (op. cit.) actually shows two slightly different versions of the house flag of Derrieu, a white flag with a red border and the letters ED & Cie in black. On the colour plate in the beginning of the book, the flag is shown with
the "ie" on the top right of the "C". When describing Derrieu shipping operations on p.
163, Bois gives a black and white image of the house flag with the "ie"
placed between the horns of the "C".
Since the company existed only for three years and operated only two ships, the slight inconsistency in the report of the house flag has probably to be credited to Bois rather than to a change in the design of the house flag.
Ivan Sache & Neale Rosanoski, 12 November 2005