Last modified: 2014-05-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: cargos algériens |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Cargos Algériens - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 March 2014
The Compagnie des Cargos Algériens was established in 1923 in Algiers by Charles Lefebvre, the owner of Lalande, Lefebvre & Cie, in partnership with Jacques Duroux, owner of the Compagnie Algérienne de Meunerie (Milling Algerian Company).
The main activity of the company was the transportation of Algerian wine to continental France, using wine tankers known as pinardiers. Nine out of the ten ships operated by the company were lost during the Second World War.
Charles Lefebvre was succeeded in 1952 by Viscount Alain Le Mone de Sérigny (1912-1986), manager of the Algiers branch of the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique until 1939. Alain de Sérigny was the brother-in-law of Jean Duroux, the son of Jacques Duroux, who appointed him director of the daily L'Écho d'Alger. Sérigny soon made of L'Écho d'Alger the most influent daily in Algeria, only outnumbered by L'Écho d'Oran.
The company was repatriated to Rouen after the independence of Algeria. In 1970, the company, with only two ships remaining, set up with the Compagnie des Bateaux à Vapeur du Nord a partnership named Cargos du Nord, which did not prevent the company to be liquidated in 1972.
Ivan Sache, 9 March 2014
The house flag of Compagnie des Cargos Algériens as shown in Merchant Marine Houseflags and Stack Insignia (US Navy Hydrographic Office, 1961), is green with a broad white bend sinister charged with the black letters "C A".
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 March 2014