Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: havre (le) | anchor: fouled (black) | anchor (black) | letters: rh (yellow) | letters: rh (blue) | letters: cnh (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and burgee of SRH - Images by Ivan Sache, 25 December 2003
Société des Régates du Havre (SRH), founded in 1838, is the oldest French yacht club still active. In the second half of the 19th century, SRH organized famous regattas in Sainte-Adresse, where a Regatta Palace was built. While SRH still has a big club house in Sainte-Adresse, a more recent club house was built in the marina of Le Havre, on the Éric Tabarly quay.
The flag of SRH is vertically divided blue-red with a white
diamond in the middle, reaching the upper and lower borders of the
flag. A black fouled anchor is placed in the middle of the diamond,
flanked by the yellow letters "R" and "H".
The burgee of SRH is a triangular version of the flag.
Variant of the burgee of SRH - Image by Ivan Sache, 25 December 2003
The list of the clubs affiliated to Yacht Club de France shows a drawing of the burgee of SRH with the letter RH in blue instead of yellow. This pattern does not match the real burgees that can be seen in Le Havre.
Ivan Sache, 25 December 2003
Flag and burgee of SNH - Images by Ivan Sache, 25 December 2003
Sport Nautique du Havre (SNH) was founded in the 19th
century by M. More. In 1914, SNH had 80 members. Yachting
activity resumed in 1922, and ceased again during the Second World
War. In 1946, a provisory club house was built on the blockhaus that
had replaced the pre-war club house and would be destroyed in 1952.The same year, Société des Petites
Régates du Havre, founded in 1866 by M. Lecomte, which had
not resumed any activity after the Second World War, accepted to
merge with SNH.
On 27 March 1955, the new club house, granted by the Port Authority, was inaugurated. In 1964, Éric Tabarly, winner of the Atlantic Race, was awarded an honourary membership by SNH. The club house of SNH is located in the marina of Le Havre, on the Éric Tabarly quay, just beside the SRH club house.
The flag of SNH is divided by a white saltire; the upper and
right quarters are red, whereas the lower and left quarters are blue.
In the middle of the flag, a white diamond is charged with a black
anchor. This anchor is shown in gold on the SNH logotype, but is black on
the real flag hoisted over the SNH club house.
The burgee of SNH is a triangular version of the flag.
Ivan Sache, 18 October 2003
Burgee of CNH - Image by Ivan Sache, 18 October 2003
Club Nautique Havrais (CNH) was founded in 1932 by the
merging of Union Fédérale de Normandie and
Association Sportive Augustin Normand. The new club was
nicknamed 'the blue and reds' and membership was 600 on its first
year of existence. The club used a floating barge moored in the
Commerce Basin as its club house until 1939. The club house was
destroyed during the 1944 bombings but the activity of CNH did not
cease. Membership was 2,500 in 1946.
CNH is not strictly a yacht club but a swimming club. It has swimming, water-polo, dive (1947), and synchronized swimming (1947) sections. These are the four sections recognized by the French Swimming Federation, and CNH was one of the first French clubs to have these four sections.
In 1958, swimming in the Commerce Basin was forbidden because of the risk of pollution. CNH decided to build its own swimming pool on the promenade, which was inaugurated in 1964. In May 1969, an official 50-m basin was inaugurated. Since then, the four sections of CNH have flourished and produced several champions of regional, national and international level.
The burgee of CNH, as seen on a sticker on the front door of the swimming pool, is vertically divided blue-red. The white letters "CN"H are placed on the flag in a fairly elegant pattern.
Ivan Sache, 18 October 2003