Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: cerecinos de campos | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cerecinos de Campos - Image by Eduardo Panizo Gómez (Vexilla Hispanica website), 2 December 2010
The municipality of Cerecinos de Campos (368 inhabitants in 2009; 2,900 ha) is located 60 km from Zamora.
Ivan Sache, 23 November 2010
The flag of Cerecinos de Campos (unofficial website) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on
27 June 2008 by the Municipal Council, signed on 8 July 2008 by the
Mayor, and published on 17 July 2008 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 137, p. 14,840 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Divided per bend sinister, with proportions 2:3, the upper part argent, the bend azure, the lower part gules, in the middle the coat of arms of Cerecinos de Campos.
The division of the flag by a blue bend represents the division of the
municipality in two distinct jurisdictions by brook Vega, which still divides the village into two boroughs. Blue is also the
color of the Immaculate Conception, recalling that Cerecinos de Campos
was one the thirteen villages of the Land of Villalpando, belonging to
the Lord of Velasco, who vowed in 1466 to defend the Purissime and
Immaculate Conception of Mary.
The upper, white triangle represents the Upper Borough, aka the Constable's Borough. White symbolizes limpidity, complete innocence, memory of the past, old foundation - probably Roman. The borough belonged to the Constables of Castile, lords of Villalpando, whose arms included argent. White, as the color of purity and virginity, recalls that St. Mary is the patron saint of the Upper Borough.
The lower, red triangle represents the Lower Borough, aka the Commandery's Borough. Red symbolizes force, struggle, power, valiance, prestige and St. John's martyr. The borough was granted to the Order of St. John in 1174 by King Ferdinand II; red recalls the field gules of the arms of the Order.
The coat of arms of Cerecinos de Campos (unofficial website) is prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 11 August 1993 by the Zamora Provincial Government, signed
on 2 September 1993 by the President of the Government, and published
on 16 September 1993 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 179 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a Cross of St. John argent, 2. Azure five walnuts or per saltire [Crown not mentioned].
The dexter part of the shield recalls the Commandery of
the Order of St. John.
The five walnuts in the sinister part recall an old, lost local tradition: on St. Stephen's Day, five walnuts and a jug of wine were offered to each member of the St. Stephen's brotherhood; the present were thrown through a window or a door if the member was still asleep.
Ivan Sache, 20 May 2011