Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: almeida | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Almeida - Image by Ivan Sache, 8 March 2011
The municipality of Almeida (aka Almeida de Sayago; 554 inhabitants in 2010; 7,637 ha) is located in the south of the Zamora Province, 40 km from Zamora.
Almeida is said to have been formed by the merging of seven
Celtiberian (Vetton) villages. In the Middle Ages, the village was
resettled by Galician and Portuguese colonists, including Jews who
lived in the Gurto borough.
The Almeida Spa (Balneario de Almeida) was founded in 1896 to use the sulphur-bearing waters of the Source of the Sayago Heart, whose healing properties had been known for ages; the same year, the water was officially declared of public interest. Abandoned in the 1960s, the spa was revamped by Antonio Acha and reinaugurated on 15 June 2006 (website).
Ivan Sache, 8 March 2011
The flag and arms of Almeida are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29
July 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 1 August
2000 by the Mayor, and published on 17 August 2000 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 159, p. 9,935 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, made of a two horizontal stripes with proportions 2:3 and 1:3, the upper stripe red and the lower stripe green.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Argent a flag gules, 1b. Gules seven crosses argent 2 + 3 + 2, 2. Azure a bridge argent masoned sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2011