Last modified: 2020-04-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: totanés |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Totanés (346 inhabitants in 2018; 2,604 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km south-west of Toledo and 30 km north-east of Navahermosa.
Totanés was known to the Visigoths as Tutanesio. The Roman Ethereus and his Visigothic wife, Teudesuintha, established in the 6th-7th century a Christian monastery, a reported in a poem by St. Eugenius, apopinted Bishop of Toledo by King Chindasuinth.
Different documents provide evidence for a basilica dedicated to St. Felix, and to others saints, in Totanés. The road connecting Toledo, the capital of the Visigothic kingdom, to Portugal, crossed Totanés, which boosted the development of the town.
After the Muslim conquest, several inhabitants of Tutanesio adopted the Mozarab rite; a Mozarab marriage was celebrated in the Totanés alquería in 1285. Totanès became after the reconquest of Toledo (1085) part of the tierra de nadie (no man's land), the zone fiercely disputed by the Christians and the Muslims attempting to reconquer Toledo. In the first years of his reign, Alfonso X granted Totanés to Archbishop Gonzalo Pétrez Gudiel.
The town was subsequently transferred to the Dávalos lineage. Hernando de Dávalos, one of the leaders of the revolted commoners in Toledo, was sentenced to death on 1 November 1522 and exiled. Hernán Carrillo de Guzmán eventually acquired Totanés, which had been confiscated by the king as a retaliation.
The last lord of Totnés was Manuela Joaquina Fernández de Santillán y Valdivia Corral Fernández de Córdova, Countess of Torralba.
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2019
The flag of Totanés (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 13 August 1998 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 August 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 38, p. 6,463 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in three equal parts, the upper and the lower, blue, and the central, yellow.
The flag in use is charged with the municipal coat of arms skewed to the hoist.
The coat of arms of Totanés is prescribed by Decree No. 114 issued on 27 October 1986 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 4 November 1986 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 46, p. 1,851 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Azure a fess or cantonned by a Mozarab cross argent and lamb passant argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed coat of arms, which was deemed "appropriate". Designed from scratch, the arms account for the foundation of the early settlement in the 12th century on a stepping place on an old transhumance road, by Mozarabs from Toledo who still lived there in the 18th century.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 184:1, 182. 1987]
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2019