Last modified: 2017-01-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: arriate |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Arriate - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 15 September 2016
The municipality of Arriate (832 inhabitants, 800 ha; municipal website) is located in the Ronda Basin (valley of the Guadalcobacín), 125 km north-west Málaga. The municipal territory is completely enclaved in the much bigger municipality of Ronda (48,100 ha).
The first written mention of Arriate is found in Philip II's Census, dated 1570; however, the town is of Moorish origin, as Arriadh (in Arab, "the orchards"). In 1407, Hernando Arias defeated the Moors near the Guadalcobacín; the event was later recalled as the Arriate Ambush (Celada de Ariate). Part of Ronda until 1630, reincorporated to Ronda in 1635, Arriate was eventually granted the rank of villa by Philip IV on 14 February 1661.
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2009
The flag of Arriate, adopted on 30 January 2004 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 19 March 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 1 April 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 64, pp. 8,034-8,035 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in three equal stripes, the upper yellow, the central red and the lower green. Over all in the center the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
The coat of arms of Arriate is "Or a garden pot gules ensigned by a spear sable surrounded by two branches vert issuant form the pot. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."
The original of the arms, designed by Vicente de Cadenas y Vincent (1915-2005, Chronicler King of Arms of the Kingdom of Spain), is kept at the Sigillography Section of the National Historic Museum of Madrid, Series Prints of Municipal Coat of Arms. The arms were used historically on the town seal, which was subsequently destroyed and replaced by a seal with the Royal Spanish arms.
The pot is a reference to the name of the town, which comes from Arab arriadh, "an orchard", and to its natural environment. The spear could date back to the Batle of Arriate (1407).
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Málaga]
Ivan Sache, 9 August 2009