This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santovenia de la Valdoncina (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: santovenia de la valdoncina | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Santovenia de la Valdoncina - Image by Antonio Gutiérrez (VexiLeón website), 21 February 2011

See also:

Presentation of Santovenia de la Valdoncina

The municipality of Santovenia de la Valdoncina (1,969 inhabitants in 2010; 3,037 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of León Province, 10 km of León. The municipality is made of the villages of Quintana, Quintana de Raneros, Raneros, Ribaseca, Santovenia de la Valdoncina (capital), Villacedró and Villanueva del Carnero.

Santovenia, named for St. Eugenia, developed around a monastery dedicated to St. Eulalia, known in 905. In 916, King of León Ordoño II granted the monastery to the St. Mary church in León. The village of "Sancta Eugenia" was mentioned for the first time in 1038; on 12 October 1113, Queen of León Urraca granted her domains in Valdoncina to Diego, Bishop of León. Documents dated 30 September 1295 mention a dispute between the Chapter and the Bishop of León for the rule of "Sactovenia de la Valdoncina". The village was eventually granted to the bishop on 2 September 1420.

Ivan Sache, 21 February 2011

Symbols of Santovenia de la Valdoncina

The flag and arms of Santovenia de la Valdoncina are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 March 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 25 April 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 21 May 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 97, p. 7,826 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag tierced per diagonal with a triangle at lower hoist [per bend], the triangle at fly blue, the central stripe white and the triangle at hoist green, in the middle the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Azure terraced vert a holly oak [encina] argent eradicated. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 21 February 2011