Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: sanlúcar de guadiana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Sanlúcar de Guadiana - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 5 September 2016
The municipality of Sanlúcar de Guadiana (443 inhabitants in 2015; 9,650 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km north-west of Huelva, on the border with Portugal, here river Guadiana.
Sanlúcar was established in the second third of the 13th century by King Sancho II of Portugal on land reconquerred from the Moors. The village was incorporated in the 14th century to the Council of Gibraleón. Sanlúcar was granted the title of villa in 1435 by Isabel Guzmán de Ledesma.
The village was fortified in the 16th century by Count Jerónimo Ró, who was in charge of the defence of the border with Portugal. The San Jerónimo fortress and the San Marcos castle, once the most important fortifications from the defence line of Huelva, could not prevent the town to be seized and destroyed by the Portuguese, which caused the exile of its inhabitants.
Sanlúcar was also threatened by river Guadiana; in 1823, the river levelled up to 14 m, suppressing 100 out of the 240 houses of the villages and prompting the inhabitants to take shelter into the castle. The port of Sanlúcar was very busy in the 19th century, mostly due to the export of brandy, rice, sugar, ham, lead and timberwood.
Ivan Sache, 5 September 2016
The flag (photo, photo) and arms of Sanlúcar de Guadiana were adopted on 10 November 2000 by the Municipal Council. The registration process does not appear to have been completed yet.
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Three parallel stripes parallel to the hoist (1:2:1), the first and the third, yellow, and the second, green. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Or a mount vert ensigned by a castle gules port and windows argent on waves argent and azure the mountain charged with a sailboat argent and surrounded by two reeds gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Juan José Antequera proposed on 17 September 1995 a flag described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of three parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist, the first and the third, red, of 1/4 of the [flag's] width, and the second, or central, green, of 2/4. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
The arms originally proposed on 17 September 1995 by Juan José Antequera were:
Coat of arms: Or on waves argent and azure a mount vert ensigned by a castle azure port and windows argent and surrounded by two sailboats gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The oval ink seal used since 1889 by the municipality is divided per fess, the upper field showing a fortress (a tower with a wall placed sinister and four crenels, standing on a rock), and the lower field showing lines representing water, with a sailboat and bird silhouettes. The seal was converted into a coat of arms in the 1890s, with a shield in French shape, the two quarters azure with the charges proper, except water, azure, and the rock, vert. The shield surmounted by an imperfect crown closed. Juan José Antequera's proposed "rehabilitation" of the design was amended in January 1999 to the arms eventually adopted by the municipality.
[Juan José Antequera. Principios de transmisibilidad en las heráldicas officiales de Sevilla, Córdoba y Huelva]
Ivan Sache, 5 September 2016