Last modified: 2019-10-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: huerta de la obispalía |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Huerta de la Obispalía (124 inhabitants in 2018; 4,188 ha) is located 40 km west of Cuenca.
Huerta de la Obispalía is overlooked by a castle, now partially ruined,
which was most probably erected by the Arabs in the 10th century on the
site of a Celtiberian camp.
The keep is decorated by the coats of arms of Giacopo Antonio Venier and Gabriel Condulmario. Beneath, an engraved stone reads, in Latin, "This tower was built during the mandate of the Italian Gabriel Condulmario, Archdeacon of Alarcón, supplier of the church of Cuenca, for Bishop Antonio Venier, who was sent by the Holy See to settle the struggle in Castile and appointed, for his merits and excellent virtues, in the León diocese and, subsequently, the Cuenca diocese. Year 1473." During the civil war, Huerta de la Obispalía, like the Catholic hierarchy, took the (wrong) party of Juana la Beltraneja against Isabel the Catholic.
In the 16th century, Huerta de la Obispalía belonged to Canon Juan del Pozo. His plots were unveiled in a civil lawsuit, which deprived him in 1521 from all his possessions in the town. The villagers purchased the castle in 1579.
[Castillos de España]
Giacopo Antonio Venier (1422-1479), was Bishop of Syracuse (1462-1464), León (1464-1469), and Cuenca (1469-1479). He was created Cardinal-Priest of Santi Vito, Modesto e Crescenzia (1473) and San Clemente (1476), therefore his nickname of Cardinal of Cuenca. He served also as Nuncio at the Court of Henry IV and Ambassador of Castile in Roma.
Ivan Sache, 26 June 2019
The flag of Huerta de la Obispalía is prescribed by an Order issued on 2
June 2005 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 15
June 2005 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 119, p. 12,074 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Horizontally divided in the center, the upper part, gray, the lower part, blue. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Huerta de la Obispalía is prescribed by an Order
issued on 2 June 2005 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 15 June 2005 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha,
No. 119, p. 12,074 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent an ecclesiastic insignia vert charged with a lion rampant gules, 2. Azure a tower or surmounted by a crescent argent. A bordure gules eight saltires or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 26 June 2019