This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ahillones (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-10-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: ahillones |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Ahillones - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Ahillones

The municipality of Ahillones (871 inhabitants in 2109; 2,150 ha) is located 130 km south-east of Badajoz and 15 km east of Llerena.

Ahillones was re-settled after the Christian reconquest by Castilian colonists coming from the region of Sepúlveda, who named the new place after their place of origin, Ayllón or Los Ayllones. The village was the site of a commandery of the Order of Saint James.
Los Ayllones was granted the status of villa by Philip IV on 18 September 1646. In the last third of the 18th century, the town was known as Aillones, to be eventually renamed to Ahillones in the middle of the 19th century.
[La Castellana de Ahillones]

Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020

Flag of Ahillones

The flag and arms of Ahillones, adopted on 15 February and 24 April 1995 by the Municipal Council and validated on 7 March and 17 May 1995 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 25 May 1995 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 8 June 1995 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 67, pp. 2,684-2,685 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Divided by the ascendant diagonal, the upper part red and the lower white. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1a. Argent a rose gules, 1b. Gules the gate of the parish church or, 2. Or a cross of the order of Saint James gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The parish church dedicated to Our Lady of the Remedies was built between the early 16th century and 1566. The facade is topped by a Mud&eacut;jar square tower. The so-called pardon portal is made of granite in Renaissance style, composed of a double arch surrounded by columns. The arch surmounting the door has a small tympan decorated with a shield featuring two crossed keys. Above it, an other arch is decorated with a shield featuring the cross of Saint James. The gate is crowned by a triangular frontispiece inscribing a small statue of the Virgin.
The first quarter might recall the chapel of Our Lady of the Rose, suppressed long time ago.
[La Castellana de Ahillones]

Ivan Sache, 14 March 2020