Last modified: 2018-10-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: almería |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Almería - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 September 2000
The municipality of Almería (192,697 inhabitants in 2013; 29,621 ha; municipal website) is the capital of the Province of Almería.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 October 2012
The flag of Almería, adopted on 1 August 1996 by the Municipal Council and revised on 24 March 1997, after corrections suggested on 20 February 1997 by the Royal Academy of Cordóba, is prescribed by Decree No. 161, adopted on 24 June 1997 by the Government of Andalusia, and published on 19 July 1997 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 83, pp. 8,592-8,593 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Flag of 25 units in length, from hoist to fly, on 15 units in height, white with a crimson red cross (of 5 units in height). In the middle of the flag is placed the official coat of arms of the town, of 5 units in height on 6 units in length. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The flags in use (as seen on 17 September 2012 at the entrance of the port) are in proportions 2:3, with a red field and the coat of arms not exceeding the arms of the cross.
The coat of arms of Almería, approved on 26 November 2004 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 January 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 7 February 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 26, p. 13 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms:
Central quarter: Genoa - St. George's Cross (Crimson red on a background argent).
Outer quarters;: The number of quarters forming the brodure shall be 15, distributed in turn with pomegranates, eagles, castles, lions and pallets, three for each kind of symbol.
Granada (Pomegranates [Granadas] or with red seeds on a background argent);
Castile (A castle [Castillo] or on a background crismon red);
León (Lions [Leones] rampant crimson red on a background argent);
Aragón (Pallets crimson red on a background or);
Navarre (St. John's single-headed, black eagles on a background or, matching the old arms of Navarre).
Crown: Royal crown closed, gilded with pearls, filled red with gems.
Orle: Argent with the black writing "Muy noble, muy leal y decidida por la libertad, ciudad de Almería" [Very noble, very loyal and committed to liberty town of Almería].
The tradition says that the coat of arms was granted to the town by King Alfonso VII the Emperor, following the conquest of the town in 1147. The Catholic Monarchs incorporated the town to the kingdom in 1489 and added a pomegranate (granada) to the arms, once Granada had been reconquerred.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Almería (PDF file)]
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 12 October 2012
Burgee of Club de Mar Almería - Image by José Carlos Alegría, 5 May 2000
Club de Mar Almería was established in 1948. The burgee is white with a red St. George's cross, that is, a triangular-shaped version of the flag of the Maritime Province of Almería, 1845, which is also the municipal flag of Almería.
José Carlos Alegría, 5 May 2000