This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Leipzig County (Germany)

Landkreis Leipzig, Saxony

Last modified: 2020-01-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: leipzig(county) | leipziger land | lion(black) | landsberg pales | pale(blue) | pall reversed | castle | cross(patty) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Leipzig unofficial county banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

See also:

Leipzig County (since 2008)

The (new) county was established on 1 August 2008 by a merger of Leipziger Land County and Muldental County. The latter had no proper flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

Leipzig County Banner

It is a white banner with arms shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole der sächsischen Landkreise nach der Kreisreform von 2008", Dresden 2010, pp.26-27
Klaus-Michael Schneider,

Leipzig County Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale; at dexter Azure, an embattled wall Or with port Sable topped by an embattled tower Or with windows Sable; at sinister Vert a pall reversed Argent flanked by three 4-fold blossoms Or seeded Vert; chief Argent charged with three barrulets Azure.
Meaning:
The right half is referring to Gnandstein Castle in the city of Kohren-Sahlis, one of the best kept Romanic castles in Saxony. The left half is a modification of the arms of the former Muldental County. The pall reversed, embowed in the former county arms, is representing the confluence of Freiberger and Zwickauer Mulde. The blossoms are representing the former counties Grimma, Wurzen and "minor partitions". The barrulets wavy in chief are representing the Neuseenland of Leipzig, which means the land of new lakes.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole der sächsischen Landkreise nach der Kreisreform von 2008", Dresden 2010, pp.26-27
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

The arms were approved on 30 October 2009. The banner was never approved officially.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020


Leipziger Land County (1994 - 2008)

The county was established when the former Leipzig County merged with the biggest parts of the counties of Borna and Geithain. The county was again diminished in 1999, when a few municipalities were transferred to the counties of Delitzsch and Muldental and the city of Leipzig. The official seat of the county was Borna, but the administration remained located in Leipzig.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

Leipziger Land County Banner

[Leipziger Land unofficial county banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

It was a white banner with arms shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.83
Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Leipziger Land county Coat of Arms

[Leipziger Land county CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 10 Feb 2007

Shield parted per pall reversed embowed, above right Vert a bend sinister wavy, above left Or a lion rampant sable armed and tongued Gules, beneath Or two pales Azure.
Meaning:
The upper right quarter is representing the landscape and the bend wavy the rivers, namely Weiße Elster, Pleiße and Wyhra. The other quarters are referring to the Wettin kin, the lion particularly to the Margraviate of Meißen and the pales to the Margraviate of Landsberg.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.83
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.83
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

The arms were approved on 1 September 1997 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Leipzig. They were in use since 1 January 1998. The flag was used unofficially between 1998 and 2008 as a commercial banner hoisted at Leipzig-Halle Airport.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020


Leipzig County (1874/1939 - 1994)

The county was established in 1874 as a sub-entity of a then county with a district captain (German: Amtshauptmann) as head of the entity. These entities corresponded to counties in other parts of German. The entity was renamed as Leipzig County (German: Landkreis Leipzig) in 1939 and in times of the GDR as Kreis Leipzig-Land. But it had basically always been the same entity.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

Leipzig old County Banner (1992 - 1997)

[Leipzig old county banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

It was a white-green vertical bicolour with arms shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.85
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

Leipzig old County Coat of Arms

The 1st coat of arms was parted per bend sinister, above right Or hammer and mallet Sable, beneath left Azure a plough Sable. The charges were representing the two most important working classes in the area: miners and farmers.
The 2nd coat of arms was Or and parted per pall reversed embowed, above right charged with a lion rampant sable armed and tongued Gules, above left with two pales Azure, beneath with a Greek cross patty Sable.
Meaning:
The lion was representing the Margraviate of Meißen, the pales the Margraviate of Landsberg and the cross the Bishopric of Merseburg.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.85
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020

The 1st arms were adopted in 1948, probably abolished in 1952, re-adopted in 1990 and abolished in 1991. The 2nd arms were approved on 10 December 1991 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Leipzig and abolished in 1994. The flag was used unofficially between 1992 and 1997 as a commercial banner hoisted at Leipzig-Halle Airport.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Jan 2020


back to County and Municipal Flags (Saxony / Sachsen) click here.