Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: buerstadt | cross(fitchy) | chief | lozengy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a black-yellow-black vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The coat of arms is shifted to the top within the central stripe.
Darmstadt District , state Hesse
banner approved on 9 August 1966
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 22 June 2006
Shield Gules a facetted cross fitchy Argent, chief lozengy of Azure and Argent.
The arms display in chief the arms of the Wittelsbach kin, Princes of the Palatinate, to which Bürstadt belonged from 1461 til 1623. The lower part shows in the colours of the Archbishopric of Mainz, to which the city belonged after 1623, a cross as a symbol for the Imperial Abbey of Lorsch, which played a major role in the history of the city. The arms are not based on the old seals of the city. The oldest seal from the early 17th century displays a quartered shield with in the first and fourth quarter the lozenges of Wittelsbach, and in the second and third a beaker. The latter is maybe used as a canting symbol (from the old name of Birstadt). In the late 17th century the seals displayed in the first and fourth quarter the wheel of Mainz and in the second and third a village sign, which is hard to describe, with the beaker in an inescutcheon. In 1956 arms according to the first seal were proposed but never adopted by the municipality. The arms were approved in 1961.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.25
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 18 May 2017
back to Bergstraße Cities and Municipalities Page click here