This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pasewalk City (Germany)

Stadt Pasewalk, Landkreis Vorpommern-Greifswald, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Last modified: 2020-05-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: pasewalk | griffin heads(3) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Pasewalk city flag] 2:3 image by Jörg Majewski, 27 Feb 2007
  • Pasewalk City
  • See also:

    Pasewalk City

    Pasewalk Flag

    It is an armourial flag (banner of arms).
    Source: Erwin Günther: "Kommunalflaggen in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern(1)," Flaggenkurier, No. 7/8, December 1998, pp.16-29
    Jörg Majewski, 27 Feb 2007

    Pasewalk Bicolour

    [Pasewalk city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2020

    The historical flag was a plain red-blue horizontal bicolour. There is no evidence of its use after 1945.
    Sources: Erwin Günther: "Wappen und Flaggen der Kreise und Kreisstädte in Pommern" , Usti nad Labem 2000, p.121, based on "Brockhaus Enzyklopedie, Bd.23", Wiesbaden 1976, Rubrik Städteflaggen
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 May 2020

    Pasewalk Coat of Arms

    [Pasewalk city CoA] image by Jörg Majewski, 27 Feb 2007

    Shield Azure, three griffin's heads Gules armed Or ordered 2:1.
    Pasewalk probably gained city rights in 1251, was however first mentioned as such by a dade of Count Hermann of Gleichen as Bishop of Cammin. The city was ruled by the Askanian kin. It remained a dominion of Brandenburg, even after the Askanians became extinct in 1321 despite of short interludes under Pomeranian rule from 1321 until 1323. It was pawned to the Dukes of Pommern since 1354, became a dominion of Sweden in 1648 and of Prussia in 1720. Pasewalk was seat of Ueckermünde County from 1950 to 1952, of Pasewalk County from 1952 to 1994 and since 1994 of Uecker-Randow County, and finally until today of Uecker-Randow-Tal Subcounty. The print of a city seal from 1351 already displayed the three griffin's heads as a representation of the Dukes Otto I, Wartislaw IV and Barnim III, protectors of the city in the past.
    Source: Hans-Heinz Schütt: "Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp.414-416
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Apr 2020

    The arms were designed after WW1 and confirmed in 1998. The flag was approved on 23 January 1998 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Both were published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.63
    Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 Apr 2020

    back to Vorpommern-Greifswald cities and municipalities click here