Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: freyung-grafenau county | bear | wolf | base | lozengy(white-blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-white stripes. The county is situated in the hilly regions between the Danube and the Czech border; its seat is Freyung.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Linder and Olzog 1996.
Stefan Schwoon, 26 Sept 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website: The arms were granted on March 9, 1976.
"Most of the area around Wolfstein belonged since the 13th century to the State of Passau and became part of Bavaria in 1806. The wolf in the left part of the arms
is canting and is at the same time taken from the arms of Passau. The bear is taken as a symbol for the Bärnstein territory (Bär = bear). This territory, formerly part of the Grafenau district, became part of Bavaria in 1438. The base shows the lozenges of the arms of Bavaria.
Literature: Linder and Olzog 1996.
Santiago Dotor, 4 Dec 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here