Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: brock township | ontario |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The flag of the Township of Brock, Ontario, is white with the city seal on it. The seal consists of township coat of arms surrounded with "THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF BROCK". Here is the official documentation:
"The following is an excerpt from By-Law Number 984-88-AP, being a by-law to authorize an adoption and registration under the Trademarks Act of Canada Ensigns Armorial of the Corporation of the Township of Brock:
TO ALL AND SUNDRY:
We, that Council of the Corporation of the Township of Brock in the Province of Ontario, Canada, do hereby proclaim that we have adopted and have registered under the Trademarks Act of Canada the following ENSIGNS ARMORIAL as commissioned from and designed for us by Heraldic Designers and Consultants of Toronto, Canada, videlicet:
ARMS: per pale Azure and Vert, an eagle displayed Or. On a chief Argent a Tudor rose between on the dexter a thistle stalked and leaved Proper and on the sinister a trefoil slipped Vert.
CREST: On a wreath of the colours Or and Azure issuant from a circlet of four trilliums Proper, a demi-brock also Proper murally crowned Or, grasping in the dexter paw a maple leaf Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a British Grenadier vested in the uniform of the 49th Regiment of Foot circa 1812 holding in the exterior hand a musket all Proper and on the sinister a farmer of the same period holding in the exterior hand a pitchfork all Proper, the whole set upon a compartment, Vert and beneath on an escroll Argent the MOTTO: Humanitatis Societas.
HEREWITH follows the explanation of the arms as depicted: the division of the shield into white, blue and green reflects the seasons and the geography of the region - the wavy line symbolizing the Trent Canal in the northern portion of the township. The eagle and the grenadier have been adopted from the arms of Sir Isaac Brock, the township's namesake. The Scottish thistle, English rose and Irish clover-trefoil commemorate the ethnic origins of the three earliest groups to settle the area. The trilliums and the maple leaf denote the location of the township in Ontario and Canada. The crowned brock is an allusion to a local character, Phillip St. John, widely known of as the "King of Brock". The soldier and farmer represent the ex-military men who settled and farmed the township reflecting the major economic resource of the area. The Latin motto is translated as: A COMMUNITY WITH A HEART.
By-Law 984-88-AP READ A FIRST, SECOND, THIRD TIME and FINALLY PASSED this 28th day of November, 1988.
Allan McPhail, Mayor
George S. Graham, Clerk-Administrator
Information, photo of the flag and image of the coat of arms thanks to Ms. Kathryn McCann, BAS, AMCT, Chief Administrative Officer.
About the township:
"The Township of Brock is located on the east shore of Lake Simcoe approximately 1 hour northeast of Toronto. The municipality presents three distinct urban areas, numerous hamlets, and beautiful countryside. While agriculture is our largest employer, a full range of commercial and industrial businesses are located within the urban areas of Beaverton, Cannington, and Sunderland. The Township's location on Lake Simcoe and the Trent-Severn Waterway make it a popular destination for tourists - both summer and winter! The municipality was named for General Sir Isaac Brock, a young soldier who was shot by the Americans as he led his soldiers into battle attempting to prevent the Americans from establishing a landing at Queenston Heights during the War of 1812.The municipality was created as a result of the proclamation of the Regional Municipality of Durham Act, S.O. 1973 and consists of the former Townships of Brock and Thorah, the Village of Beaverton, the Village of Cannington, and the dissolution of the Police Village of Sunderland."
Official website: http://townshipofbrock.ca
Valentin Poposki, 16 January 2010