Last modified: 2020-01-04 by rob raeside
Keywords: alberta | cardston county | sky | mountain | wood | river | green grass | cow | cowboy | horse |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
About the town:
Cardston is a town in southwest Alberta, Canada. Cardston was settled in 1887 by Mormons from Utah Territory who travelled to Alberta in one of the century's last wagon migrations. The official founder of the town is Charles Ora Card, after whom the town is named. It has 3,452 inhabitants - Source: Wikipedia: Cardston, Alberta.
Valentin Poposki, 29 January 2010
The recent update to the https://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=3173 page shows a new flag for Cardston, a banner of arms blazoned "Or a carriage wheel within an orle Azure surmounted at each angle by a billet Argent".
The gold background symbolizes the town’s agricultural success. The carriage wheel refers to the settlers’ travel by wagon train, and also to the town’s Remington Carriage Museum. The blue band and white rectangles represents the water of Lee Creek used in irrigation canals and the communities serviced by the said canals. As well, the rectangles evoke playing cards, and thus represent the Card family, the leading family of the original settlers, and make a canting reference to the town’s name.
located by Dave Fowler, 25 December 2019
image by Darrell Neuman, 13 March 2011
The previous flag of the Town of Cardston featured a Mormon Temple along with a
horse drawn carriage. The blue colored Canadian Rocky Mountains on the flag
are contrasted with a blue and white outline of the Mormon Temple.
Darrell Neuman, 13 March 2011