Last modified: 2013-12-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | bento de abreu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 16 March 2013
Bento de Abreu was founded on 24 July 1926 on the banks of river
Aguapeí by farmers and traders brought there by the "Estrada de Ferro
Noroeste do Brasil" railway. The main colonist was the Italian
Geremia Lunardelli, one of the biggest coffee growers ever in Brazil.
The settlement was first named Lunardelli, a name subsequently changed
for Albinópolis. The district of Alto Pimenta - the original name of
the area - was established by Decree No. 5,888 of 25 April 1933.
The municipality of Bento de Abreu was established by Law No. 233 of
24 December 1948, seceding from Valparaíso, and inaugurated on 27
March 1949. The municipality was named for the State Representative
Bento de Abreu Sampaio Vidal (1872-1948), founder of several towns in
the São Paulo hinterland, for instance, Marília.
http://www.bentodeabreu.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Bento de Abreu are prescribed in Article 2 of the
Municipal Constitution, adopted on 1 March 1990, as "the flag, the
coat of arms and the anthem (to be composed)".
http://camarabentodeabreu.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Municipal Constitution
The flag is yellow with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the municipal coat of arms, and two arrows, the first black and the second red, pointing to the fly.
Photos of the flag
Ivan Sache, 16 March 2013