Last modified: 2013-12-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | Álvaro de carvalho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
5 March 2013
Álvaro de Carvalho emerged around a "boliche" (a rudimentary inn) established in 1930 by Mamede Barreto, originating from Frutal, Minas Gerais. The same year, João Cajueiro de Souza built nearby a house with bricks. They were soon joined by other colonists, including Bento de Abreu Sampaio Vidal, Joaquim Álvaro Pereira Leite and Benedito dos Santos, who founded the village of Santa Cecília. The district of Santa Cecília was established by Law No. 2,645 of 16 January 1916, as part of the municipality of Garça, and renamed Álvaro de Carvalho, as a tribute to the politician Álvaro Augusto da Costa Carvalho (1865-1933; State Representative, 1891-1894 & 1896-1897; Federal Representative, 1894-1896, 1903-1911, 1912-1914, 1915-1920 & 1927-1930; Senator, 1918-1923), by State Law No. 2,950 of 25 April 1937. The municipality of Álvaro de Carvalho was established by State Law No. 233 of 24 December 1948 and inaugurated on 10 April 1949.
http://www.alvarodecarvalho.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Álvaro de Carvalho is presented on Wikimedia Commons as horizontally divided blue-white-green (2:1:2) with a white vertical stripe placed along the hoist and charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The image was contributed on 3 February 2013 by "Prefeitura Municipal", quoting the official municipal website as the source. No other source for the flag was found. Several municipal flags have been recently uploaded with the same credit, although, in most cases, the matching municipal website does not show the flag. However, photos of the flags,when available, indicate that the accuracy of these submissions is quite high (except the 2:3 proportions that do not match the common use of 14:20 proportions).
Ivan Sache, 5 March 2013