Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | seara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 14 August 2012
The municipality of Seara (16,936 inhabitants in 2010; 31,254 ha) is located
500 km west of Florianópolis.
Seara was established in 1924, as Nova Milano, by poor farmers coming from the region of Guaporé, Serafina Correa and Casca (Rio Grande do Sul). Originally part of the district of Itá, within the municipality of Concórdia, Nova Milano was renamed to Seara on 15 March 1944, as a tribute to land surveyor Carlos Otaviano Seara.
The municipality of Seara was established on 3 April 1954.
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021
A white-red-white saltire on a green field, with the municipal arms in the centre on a white disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 14 August 2012
The Fritz Plaumann Museum, located in the district of Nova Teutônia, is South
America's biggest entomological museum.
The flag and arms of Seara are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 46 promulgated on 24 February 1971.
The municipal flag of Seara, designed by heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixote de Faria, shall be quartered by a saltire, the green quarters formed by four white stripes superimposed with red stripes, placed two by two in bend and bend sinister and starting from the angles of a central white circle inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
§1. The style of the flag is compliant with the tradition of Portuguese heraldry, of which Brazil inherited the norms and rules, stating that municipal flags have to be divided in eight, six, four or three parts, using the same colors as in the coat of arms and featuring in the center or at hoist a geometric figure inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
§2. The coat of arms featured on the flag represents the municipal government while the white circle inscribing it represents the town proper, as the seat of the municipality. The stripes represent the municipal power spreading over all the quarters of the territory. The quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Seara, designed by heraldist Arcinoe Peixoto de Farias, is described in proper heraldic language as follows:
Samnite shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. On a field argent, a bundle of wheat spikes proper cantoned by open maize cobs proper. As supporters, dexter and sinister, soybean plants proper interlaced in base supporting a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "Seara" surrounded by years "1927" and "1954". A cogwheel sable issuant from the shield's base.
§1. The coat of arms shall have the following symbolic interpretation
a) The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Seara was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal by French influence; inherited by Brazilian heraldry, it evokes the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domains' coats of arms; argent (silver) with eight towers, only five of them visible in perspective, it classifies a town of second rank or seat of a county.
c) Argent (white) is the heraldic symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity and purity.
d) The wheat spikes, the maize cobs, as well as the soybean plants used as supporters, represent a mostly rural municipality that was founded by farmers coming from different states, attracted by soil fertility, the coat of arms featuring the municipality's main sources of income.
e) The scroll gules (red, a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance) is inscribed with the toponym "Seara" surrounded by years "1927" (foundation) and "1954" (political emancipation).
f) The cogwheel sable (black) symbolizes industry, one of the municipality's main sources of income.
§2. In compliance with heraldic rules, the coat of arms shall be 7 units in length on 8 units in width.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021