Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | santa cecília |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021
The municipality of Santa Cecília (16,918 inhabitants in 2010; 114,532 ha) is
located 300 km north-west of Florianópolis.
Santa Cecília was colonized between 1840 and 1855 by German colonists who settled in a domain owned by Captain José Ferreira de Souza. Tropeiros' maps dated to the 18th century shows the place as Corisco, meaning "lightning". This recalls the death of a tropeiro and his horse killed in 1732 during a storm. The small settlement established by tropeiros was subsequently called Pousinho or Povinho, to be renamed to Rio Correntes by European colonists.
The district of Santa Cecília do Rio Correntes was established by Decree No. 49 issued on 24 February 1891, to be elevated a municipality, as Santa Cecília, by State Law No. 348 promulgated on 21 June 1958, and inaugurated on 5 August 1958.
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021
An off-centred red cross, bordered white, on a green field, with the municipal shield on a white disk on the cross.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 2 August 2012
The flag and arms of Santa Cecília are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 5
promulgated on 15 February 1971.
The flag representing the municipality of Santa Cecília shall have the following design and characteristics.
a) Shape: Rectangular
b) General characteristics: Five horizontal stripes, in the following colors: 1a. Green stripe, 2a. White stripe, 3a. Blue stripe, 4a. White stripe, 5a. Golden yellow stripe.
c) Special characteristics: A central circle, of white background, charged with the following elements: in the foreground, a black and white cow's head and two yellow wheat spikes; in the background, green (canopy) and brown (trunk) Brazilian pines; a light yellow and golden yellow lasso near the central circle. In the circle's upper part, on the right, in black letters, "SANTA CECÍLIA". In the lower part, on the left, the date of establishment of the municipality, "28-6-58 - SC", also in black letters.
The general and special characteristics mean:
The green, blue and yellow stripes have the same meaning as the colors of the national flag. The two white horizontal stripes means peace and harmony to be preserved among citizens and with the municipal power.
The cow's head represents cattle-breeding, a main source of income for the municipality, while the two wheat spikes represent agriculture, also a relevant source of income.
The two Brazilian pines, in the background, have a dual meaning: timber extraction industry and the related industries, which are factors of municipal progress, and physiographic characteristics of the region. The lasso divided into two parts complements the symbol of cattle-breeding, already represented by the cow's head.
The coat of arms representing the municipality of Santa Cecília shall have the following shape and characteristics. A cogwheel inscribed in it; in the foreground, right, a cow's head, and left, two wheat spikes. In the background, in the center, a Brazilian pine; behind, mountains, then pastures. Crossing the cogwheel, in a semi-circular pattern, a scroll inscribed "PREFEITURA MUNICIPAL DE SANTA CECÍLIA - SC".
The charges composing the municipal coat of arms have the following meaning. The cogwheel represents industries established in the municipality, factors of economical progress. The cow's head, the two wheat spikes and the Brazilian pines have the same meaning as on the municipal flag (Article 1). The pastures in front of the mountains symbolize, jointly with the cow's head, cattle-breeding. The background symbolizes local topography.
Leis Municipais database
The flag in current use seems quite different from the prescribed one.
Ivan Sache, 7 November 2021