Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | tupanciretã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The municipality of Tupanciretã (22,281 inhabitants in 2010; 22,520 ha) is
located 400 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Tupanciretã is named for Tupi-Guarani words meaning "The Land of God's Mother", referring to the old Jesuit reduction once established there.
Tupanciretã was established in March 1895 by Antônio José de Silveira. The campaign for emancipation was initiated in 1927 to solve the odd situation of the town, which was split between the two municipalities of Júlio de Castilhos and Cruz Alta.
The municipality of Tupanciretã was established on 21 December 1928.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
Horizontally divided blue-red-green, with the municipal arms placed on a white triangle extending from the hoist.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 29 April 2012
The flag of Tupanciretã is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 791 promulgated on
20 June 1984.
The coat of arms of the municipality, as prescribed by Law, is composed of "a shield whose shape records the nation's ethnic formation, of Portuguese origin, surmounted by a mural crown, of the same origin, with three fortresses. The shield is composed of two quarters, a base and a canton, surmounting in base a fess wavy in the colors of Rio Grande do Sul," in compliance with the symbolic interpretation detailed in the second part of Article 1 of Municipal Law No. 363 promulgated on 7 December 1962.
The flag of the municipality is composed of a rectangle, in proportions 14 units in width on 20 units in length, including on the left side an isosceles triangle charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality, from which start three parallel horizontal stripes, blue, red and green, respectively, from top to bottom.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Tupanciretã is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 363 promulgated on 7 December 1962. It was elaborated in 1968 by Tasso Krausneck Prestes.
A shield whose shape records the nation's ethnic formation, of Portuguese origin, surmounted by a mural crown, of the same origin, with three fortresses. The shield is composed of two quarters, a base and a canton, surmounting in base a fess wavy in the colors of Rio Grande do Sul. The first quarter on the left features on a background or a red Cross of Christ, as the historic evocation of the São João reduction established by the Jesuits, to which Tupanciretã belonged in the 17th century.
In the second, right quarter, an Indian head-dress recalling the first inhabitants, here the Charrua. A height representing the territory. A blue stripe representing river Toropi and its tributaries. A green canton with five furrows representing the fields and hills and mechanization of agriculture.
The shield supported by a maize plant and a soybean branch. Beneath the shield a scroll in the colors of Rio Grande do Sul and year "1852", the year of foundation of the municipality. The shield surmounted by a mural crown with three fortresses with six crenels and two guards representing the six districts and two sub-districts of the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020