Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | tapera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The municipality of Tapera (10,584 inhabitants in 2019; 17,994 ha) is located
220 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Tapera was settled in 1897 by Italian and German colonists invited by Alberto Schmidt on behalf of Colonel Gervásio Luccas Annes, from Passo Fundo, owner of Fazenda Nacional. The early colonists found an abandoned hut ("tapera") used by tropeiros traveling between Cruz Alta and Soledade as a landmark and a place of rest. The "tapero" was said to have been built by the "Castilian" Anastácio Lopes, an Argentine outlaw, who abandoned it when colonization of the area started.
The municipality of Tapera was established by State Law No. 2,552 promulgated on 18 December 1954, separating from Carazinho, and inaugurated on 28 February 1955.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The flag of Tapera is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 775 promulgated on 2
The flag of the municipality of Tapera is rectangular, diagonally divided from the lower left base to the upper right part, forming two right-angled triangles, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
Blue represents the sky over the municipality, as the symbol of the sun, light, stars and rain that develops and embellishes the whole natural environment. It means the people's ideals and its continuous effort towards perfection. It is also the symbol of religion and union with a single divinity.
White represents peace, harmony and integration of the diverse races that compose the population. It represents dialogue and cooperation between authorities and people. It symbolizes an atmosphere of law and order, justice and fraternity, on which the municipality's living together and development are based.
The coat of arms of Tapera is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 518 promulgated on 25 June 1974.
The Southern Cross represents the fatherland.
The hut represents the "tapera", the municipality's namesake.
The heights represent the hilly topography of the region.
The Brazilian pine represents our main source of income and the need of reforestation and environment preservation in the municipality.
The open book represents the quality of education in the town.
The leather piece represents the establishment of pioneering industry.
The tractor plowing the soil represents technological advance.
The soybean and wheat plants highlight the main sources of income for the municipality.
On the scroll:
"DEUS" (God) represents the local cults and beliefs.
"TRABALHO" (Work) represents people's socio-economical affirmation.
"PERSEVERANÇA" (Perseverance) represents dynamism and search for an ideal.
1891 : Date of colonization's beginning
1954 : Date of political and administrative emancipation of the municipality - establishment of the municipality
Mural crown: Represents the municipality's fecundity and civic and moral resistance.
The former flag of Tapera was prescribed by Municipal Law No. 531 promulgated on 1 November 1974.
The flag of the municipality is diagonally divided from the lower left base to the upper right part, forming two right-angled triangles, and charged in the center with a cogwheel.
The upper triangle shall be blue, the lower white, and the cogwheel, red.
Leis Municipais database
The flag is used with the coat of arms either inscribed in a white disc or placed directly on the flag's background.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020