Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | são josé do norte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
1 April 2012
The municipality of São José do Norte (26,853 inhabitants in 2014; 11,811 ha)
is located 400 km of Porto Alegre and 10 km of Rio Grande.
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020
Horizontally striped, a blue field with three narrow red stripes bordered white, and a white triangle extending from the hoist bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 1 April 2012
The flag and arms of São José do Norte are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 21
promulgated in 1971.
The flag is composed of three horizontal white stripes charged with a red stripe that starts from a white triangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
According to Portuguese heraldry, recalling the colonizers of the region, the virtues of each color are:
- white represents peace, integrity, friendship, prosperity and purity;
- blue represents justice, loyalty, innocence and piety;
- red represents strength, valor, loyalty, glee and honor.
The coat of arms represents the municipal government and the triangle on which it is applied the town as the municipality's seat. The stripes represent the spread of the municipal power to all the quarters of the territory.
The flag's proportions shall be the same as for the national flag, 7:10.
The coat of arms is described in Article 19.
A Samnite shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent. On a field argent an escutcheon gules charged with five wings argent surmounted by a wing sable and surrounded by a lily and a palm crossed in saltire. In base a fess wavy azure three fishes argent. The shield surrounded dexter and sinister by a fishing line hooking a fish argent and onion peels proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed argent "São José do Norte" and "Mui Heróica Villa", surrounded by the years "1763" and "1831".
I. The Samnite shield, the first style of shield introduced in Portugal by French influence, was inherited by Brazilian heraldry as recalling the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
II. The crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domains. Composed of six towers, four easily visible, it indicates a town of 3rd rank, as a municipality seated in a "cidade". Joint to the crown, an escutcheon with the colors of Rio Grande do Sul recalls the unit of the Federation to which São José do Norte belongs.
III. Argent is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
IV. The escutcheon [redundant description skipped] reproduces the arms of the Abreu family as a tribute to the municipality's founder, Cristóvão Pereira de Abreu. Red is a symbol of audacity, valiance and dedication. Black is a symbol of austerity, prudence, wisdom and moderation.
V. The lilies and palms represent St. Joseph, the town's patron saint.
VI. The fishes refer to the Atlantic Ocean.
VII. The sea is the town's main source of income. Fishing is represented by the hooks surrounding the shield, together with onion peels, indicating the main crop, a source of national fame for São José do NortL
VIII. The red scroll beneath the shield is inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by two years, "1763" for the settlement's foundation, and "1831", for its political emancipation.
IX. The title of "Very Heroic Town" was awarded in 1841 by Emperor Peter II as a tribute to the people's resistance to the revolted forces led by Bento Gonçalves during the Ragamuffin Revolution.
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020