This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mušum, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | mušum |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Mušum, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020

See also:


The municipality of Mušum (4,791 inhabitants in 2010; 10,900 ha) is located 150 km of Porto Alegre.

Mušum is first documented, as Mussum, in a record of the rapids of river Taquari established in 1862 by the military engineer Ant˘nio Augusto Arruda, Captain of the Brazilian Army. Incorporated on 11 December 1903 to the newly formed municipality of GuaporÚ, Mušum was renamed to General Osˇrio, but the two names remained in use, even in official documents. General Osˇrio was rather use to designate the town and Mušum to designate the port.
The district of General Osˇrio was renamed to Mussum by State Decree No. 7,589 issued on 29 November 1938. The municipality of Mušum was established by State Law No. 3,729 promulgated on 10 July 1959.
Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020


The flag and arms of Mušum are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 380 promulgated on 19 May 1975.

The flag has for colors blue and white, in proportions 2/5 for blue, at hoist, and 3/5 for white, at fly, representing the cult of Our Lady of Purification and the deep religious feelings of the first inhabitants, and also a symbol of peace and harmony, the people's main ideals. The two panels are equally charged with the municipal coat of arms.

The flag was inaugurated on 28 May 1975 at the Municipal Chamber, during the celebration of municipal emancipation and of the centenary of Italian immigration in Rio Grande do Sul.

The coat of arms is composed of:
I. A Ducal shield composed of three fields:
a) On top, azure, representing the typical sky over the municipal territory, a cogwheel or, as a symbol of industrialization of the settlement;
b) In the center, spanning over river Taquari azure, a five-arched bridge or, representing the significance for the municipality's development of road and rail traffic, connecting the town to the rich and fertile region of Upper Taquari;
c) on bottom, argent, the navigation's paper that made of Mušum the main warehouse for the colonies of the highlands.
II. A scroll or inscribed at the ends with years "1905" and "1959", respectively the dates of creation of the district and of municipal emancipation, separated by the municipal toponym.
III. As supporters, green branches of soybean, the municipality's main agricultural product.
IV. A mural crown argent, composed of four towers representing the municipality's political power.
Municipal website

The emblem features the road and railway Brochado da Rocha bridge, which yielded to Mušum the title of "Princess of the Bridges". The bridge, of 289 m in length, was erected at the end of the 1970s by the 1st Railway Battalion.
Municipal website


Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020

Sport clubs

Esporte Club Fortes e Livres

Esporte Club Fortes e Livres, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020

E.C. Fortes e Livres, established in Mušum in 1916, was named after words said by Giuseppe Garibaldi during the Ragamuffin Revolution: "It is necessary that men are strong and free ["fortes e livres"]".
Museu virtual do futebol

The flag of E.C. Fortes e Livres is vertically divided red-dark green with a thinner white vertical stripe in the center, and the club's emblem in the center.

Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020

Operßrio AtlÚtico Clube

Esporte Club Fortes e Livres, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020

The flag of Operßrio A.C. is celestial blue with a narrow white border all around, the club's emblem in the center and name, in white letters near the flag's bottom.


Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020