This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mato Queimado, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-31 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | mato queimado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Mato Queimado, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020

See also:


The municipality of Mato Queimado (1,665 inhabitants in 2018; 11,464 ha) is located 500 km north-west of Porto Alegre.

Mato Queimado was established in 1921 by Henrique Leopoldo Seffrin, Antônio Teodoro Cardoso, José Gallas and Antônio Leonardo Kieling, who divided the domain acquired in 1919 from the heirs of Joaquim Gomes Pinheiro Machado into plots of 20 to 39 hectares in area and offered them for sale. Most colonists were of German origin, coming from Serro Azul (Cerro Largo) of from older colonies. They formed two urban areas, Santa Lúcia (today, Caibaté) and Mato Queimado.
A local legend reports that a hurricane once cleared a wide stripe of forest; the early colonists set fire to the uprooted tree, therefore the place's name, lit. Burned Forest. Another legend relates the place's name to an event that occurred during the Federalist Revolution.
The municipality of Mato Queimado was established by State Law No. 10,747 promulgated on 16 April 1996.
Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020


The flag of Mato Queimado is prescribed by Law No. 8 promulgated on 5 January 2001.

Article 2.
The municipal flag designed by the studious heraldist Luiz Carlos Pereira obeys the traditions of Portuguese heraldry and its inherited rules.
It follows the rules of the national flag for the dimensions, 1.13 m x 1.61 m.
The flag is composed of four colors: blue, red, green and white, representing the four communities that compose the municipality: Rondinha, Pontão Ijuí, Rincão do Muller and Mato Queimado (seat). Each color further has its own meaning. White a symbol of peace, green a symbol of hope, blue a symbol of infinity, and red a symbol of struggle. The colors are arranged in a non-uniform pattern.
In the flag's center is placed the coat of arms shaped in a circle.
Leis Municipais database

The coat of arms of Mato Queimado is prescribed by Law No. 9 promulgated on 5 January 2001.

Article 2.
The coat of arms includes a Portuguese shield outlined in black featuring in the upper part, from dexter to sinister, a white field charged with symbols representing the origin of the name Mato Queimado (a burned tree), the wealth and dedication of people to commerce and industry represented by the symbols of the helmet and the cogwheel; the diversified crops, represented by a citrus fruit; a wheel to represent transport companies (significant providers of employment and income); cattle-breeding represented by a bovine cattle.
In the shield's center, on azure (blue) is featured the São Cristóvão cave, which represents the religious feeling of people who built a wealthy and prosperous municipality with much faith and pride. On 25 July, the cave is a place of celebration, visit of blessing for the Colonist, Driver and Immigrant's Day, St. Christopher being the drivers' patron saint.
In the lower center part of the shield is featured the symbol of union between people aspiring to justice.
Beneath the shield, a scroll argent (gray) containing the municipality's name. The shield supported by wheat, soybean and maize plants, which are the municipality's main source of income.
The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent (gray), with four towers with ports gules (red), representing the powers: Executive and Legislative on the right, and Judiciary and Armed Force in the left.
Leis Municipais database


Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020