Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | ipiranga do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The municipality of Ipiranga do Sul (1,944 inhabitants in 2010; 15,788 ha) is
located 360 km of Porto Alegre.
Ipiranga do Sul was established in 1908 by the Duran, Salalegere and Gorrosterazú Spanish families. The first child born in Ipiranga was Gervásio Gorrosterazú Filho (1911-2003). Clearng and exploitation of the forest started in 1938, when Antônio Fioravante Tonial established a first sawmill, followed by Hilário Durante and Cirilo Gobbo.
The district of Ipiranga was established on 20 November 1949. The municipality of Ipiranga do Sul was established by State Law No. 8,568 promulgated on 20 April 1988.
Ivan Sache, March 2012
The flag of Ipiranga do Sul is composed of three colors: green, white and red.
Green represents the forests, white represents solidarity and peace, and red
represents the soil.
The coat of arms of Ipiranga do Sul is composed of a classical Portuguese shield, quadrilateral and rounded-off in the lower angles, divided into two fields, green and red.
The dexter quarter, red, features a tractor symbolizing agriculture, as the municipality's main source of income. The two Brazilian pines in the background represent the forests.
The sinister quarter, green, represents cattle-breeding, the second source of income.
The shield is supported by the main cultures in the municipality, soybean, maize and wheat.
Beneath the shield the motto "Trabalho e amor a terra" [Work and Love for the Soil], the municipality's name and its date of creation.
The shield surmounted in the central part by a golden crown.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020