This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Garibaldi, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | garibaldi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Garibaldi, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2020

See also:


The municipality of Garibaldi (30,692 inhabitants in 2010; 168 sq. km) is located in northeastern Rio Grande do Sul, 110 km of Porto Alegre. Garibaldi was established in 24 May 1870 as the Conde D'Eu colony, named for the Count of Eu (Prince Gaston d'Orléans, 1842-1922), the husband of Princess Isabel and, therefore, the son-in-law of Emperor Peter II. The first colonists, all of Prussian origin, settled the place on 9 July 1870. Groups of Swiss, Italian, French, Austrian and Polish immigrants joined the colony in 1870-1874, using the bad road that Conde D'Eu to Montenegro via Maratá. Mostly populated with Italian colonists, Conde D'Eu was the first nucleus of colonization in the mountains of Rio Grande do Sul; population increased from 720 in 1875 to 870 in 1876. The municipality of Garibaldi was established on 31 October 1900. The new name of the place was a tribute to the Italian revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi, who fought during the Farroupilha Rebellion. Garibaldi is self-styled "The Land of Sparkling Wine". The first Brazilian Champagne was invented there in 1919 by Manoel Peterlongo, a colonist from Trentino (Italy). His son Armando succeeded him in 1924 and increased the production, building a 10,000 sq. m cellar; the products from "Estabelecimento Vinícola Armando Peterlongo" became nationally famous in 1930; President Getúlio Vargas offered such wines to his guests, including Queen Elizabeth.

Ivan Sache, 24 March 2012

Description of the Flag

A vertical blue-white-blue triband, with a narrow central horizontal stripe, resulting in an irregular upright white cross, with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 14 February 2012

The flag and arms of Garibaldi are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,127 promulgated on 1 October 1971.

Article 6.
The municipal flag of Garibaldi is: Quartered by a cross in four blue quarters separated in the center by a wide white stripe charged in the center with the municipal flag, from which run the narrower lateral stripes forming the quarters.
§1. The style of the flag obeys the Portuguese heraldic traditions, and their inherited canons and rules, stating that municipal flags have to be divided in eight or six horizontal stripes, quartered or divided in three parts, featuring at hoist or in the center an using the same colors as the field of the coat of arms.
§2. The coat of arms applied in the flag's center represents the town proper as the municipal seat. The stripes running from its sides and quartering the flag represent the rural properties scattered all over the territory.

Article 7.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions adopted for the national flag, that is, 14 units in width and 20 units in length.

Article 18.
The municipal coat of arms of Garibaldi is "A Samnite shield, surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent, on a field argent an escutcheon azure charged with three fleurs-de-lis or in chief a label gules the escutcheon surmounted by a count's coronet in cantons bunches of grapes proper. The shield surrounded dexter and sinister, a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent the toponym "GARIBALDI" surrounded by the years "1875" and "1900".

The coat of arms has the following meaning:
a) The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Garibaldi was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal from French influence and was inherited by Brazilian heraldry as evoking the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
b) The mural crown is the universal symbol of arms of domains; argent (silver) with eight towers, five visible in perspective, it classifies the town as of 2nd rank or county seat.
c) Argent (silver) is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
d) In the center the escutcheon azure (blue) with fleurs-de-lis or (gold) and the label gules (red) reproduces the arms of the Count of Eu, recalling the colony of Conde d'Eu, at the origin of Garibaldi.
e) Azure (blue) represents justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal, loyalty, recreation and beauty; or (gold) represents glory, greatness, wealth, splendor and sovereignty; red (gules) is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance
f) In cantons, the grapes proper recall wine-growing, one of the municipality's main sources of income.
g) On the scroll gules (red) in letters argent (silver) is written the identifying toponym "GARIBALDI", given as a tribute to Giuseppe Garibaldi, hero of two continents and one of the most vigorous supporters of the Farroupilha Republic; year "1870" as the date of creation of the colonies of Conde d'Eu and Princesa Isabel, and, therefore of the municipality's foundation, and "1900", as the date of political emancipation.
Leis Municipais database


The Count d'Eu was Prince Gaston of Orléans (1842-1922), grandson of King of the French Louis-Philippe I, who titled him Count of Eu (for a small town in Normandy) at birth. Trained at the Segovia Military School, Gaston brilliantly served in the Spanish army during the Morocco war. Upon proposal of his uncle, King Ferdinand II of Portugal, Gaston went to Brazil and married in 1864 Princess Isabel, the daughter of Emperor Peter II. The couple had to stop his honeymoon in Europe after Paraguay had invaded Rio Grande do Sul. Together with the emperor and president Mitre of Argentina, the Count of Eu contributed to the reconquest of Urugaiana, achieved on 19 November 1865. In 1869, he succeeded the Marquess of Caxias as the commander in chief of the Brazilian forces and led the victorious campaign against Paraguay.
The Count d'Eu provided a detailed account of the military coup that overthrew the Empire in November 1889. Banished, the imperial family was forced into exile at the castle of Eu. Gaston could return to Brazil only in 1921, one year before his death.
The arms shown on the escutcheon are those of the house of Orléans, a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon, as expressed by the red label as a mark of cadency.

Ivan Sache, 18 July 2020